Hi Everyone

Here is my tale......I very recently bought a 520iSE M50, I noticed that the car was running very cool so I started to investigate. I have discovered that the thermostat appears to be inserted the wrong way i.e. the spring was on the outside of the engine block (this did not seem correct to me), I removed the thermostat but only with the aid of punching a very large screwdriver right throught it, it must have been hammered in!!!

It appears also that the thermostat housing has a hairline crack in it (its plastic) so that will also need to be replaced, oh and the waterpump has the plastic impeller (its the OEM 1992), thank heaven for Visa cards!

My problem is this, just exactly which order does this all go back together, I ask this because there is no picture in the manual I have and I have yet to see one that has been assembled correctly, see above!

I understand that the housing should have a gasket in addition to the rubber ring seals, that seems to be missing too!

Is this correct, from the engine block going outwards:

thermostat (spring inwards), thermostat rubber ring, flat housing gasket, thermostat housing (with integral square gasket), four bolts.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Triv