GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: personal top speed run

that is sad indeed, i dont consider my self above anything, but i realize the consequences and responsabiltys of driving a car at any rate of speed. sorry to upset

Default 147 in a M6..........

......that was 17 years ago, at a time when I was young and impressionable. Now I enjoy the track and the many great back roads of mid and south east ohio.

Craig G.
    89 535i

And lots of cops with instant on Lidar

....which makes my V1 very unhappy.

Default BMW drivers are seldom at fault... NOT!

There are very few places where one can take the risk, but I wouldn't chide you over it... crazier things happen on the road all the time. Peeps on the Bimmer forums are (on the whole) not that inexperienced and take driving much more seriously than most other road users.

I guess the trouble we can get into is where others do not take their driving seriuosuly enough which (of course) is half the problem- they are allowed to be stupid, silly and inconsiderate as we simply don't own the road...

And of course, thru sheer bad luck... (If you are confused, don't worry....) GP

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Haha...it takes a lot more than that to upset me

I didn't want to sound like your parents or anything, I'm just saying that it's always a good idea to keep in the back of your mind something to the effect of, "what are the implications of doing this?"

Does that mean that we shouldn't do risky or outlandish things every once in a while? Hell no. Six months after I got my license, I got a ticket for doing about 75 in a 35 zone. After I won the court case, that was enough of speeding around town for me. Years later, that experience continues to influence how I drive. A negative experience only sucks after you've had to live through it.

Still, the only way to innovate is to consider risky ideas/behavior/whatever. The balance - the yin/yang - is essential.

Jason: Yes, the part in question is the "you".

I think the argument against speeding in the states is not so much related to automotive capability as it is to conditions and quality of the roads/drivers. When people spend their formative years driving and riding around in cars at autobahn speeds, they get used to it and what to expect. 110mph is a lot different than 65. 150 is a lot different than 110. You put someone who's never driven at the higher speeds behind the wheel for the first time, and they've got ten million more factors to process at 140 than they do at 65.

best, whit

Whit:

Oh, I agree 100%! Most people here in the states can barely handle 65mph, let alone 165mph!! However, I do believe that its not the speed that kills, its the sudden stop at the end! Seriously though, I think that if the oppertunity is there and you are up to it..a quick trip to the top end of the spectrum isn't THAT . I won't get into a few other factors that can make it stupid (ie, the shatty condition of the US highway system, wild animals etc..) but I will say that you can only protect yourself from so much. I tend to agree a bit with Kyle when he said that a tire could blow out on a track and you'd meet the same fate. Personally, I'm more concerned about OTHERS lives. Hence why I'd never do something like this with a passenger when I'm driving.

There are several factors to consider.

The condition of your car. How many really know the limitations of their own car. That curb you hit with your front left tire 3 months ago fractured some belts in the sidewall. Driving round at up to 70mph no problems but at 140mph it's just waiting to let go.

What about the guy that pulls at of the side road that hardly anybody ever uses. He see's you coming but he thinks you're only doing 60mph and pull's out. You begin to change lanes but there's a semi coming the other way. You hit the brakes but at 140mph your stopping distance is four times what it would have been at 70mph. At 70mph there would have been no problem!

The problem is that few public roads allow any real safety margin for error if something goes horribly wrong at 100mph+. The autobahns in Europe are better in this respect as they are designed for high speed driving. Road surface, curve radius, camber, drainage, crash barriers are all carefully considered in the design of autobahns. Drivers must adhere to lane speed restrictions which ofter work in reverse. You will be booked for travelling too slowly in the high speed lane. Also speeds are manditorily reduced during bad weather etc. It's these roads that our bimmers are really designed for. Vehicle inspections are very well regulated as well. The worst place I have driven in for nut case drivers in shitheap cars on crap roads is Mexico. Aye Carumba!!

On one point however I do agree, it's not the speed that kills... it's the sudden stop and the end!
    Last edited by pundit; 04-09-2005 at 07:35 AM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    i see what you guys are saying, find a track, but coudent a tire blow on a track? i mean social responsabality???? sure i could die, i realize that every time i get on the road, anything could happen at any moment, but the same rules apply in any situation. Its horrible that your friend died, but hardly the point. though i understand your arguement, i disagree with it

kyle
    Go Kyle , screw that PC "social responsibility" crap .. that is whats killing this nation .. not speeding, PC BS
    1992 BMW 535 155??? Miles
    Bavarian Autosport Exhaust,17" Style 32 Rims, Black on Black and very sinister looking ... My 1st BMW and I love her .....

Sigh... I've only hit about 100-110mph (160-175kph) on my little 2.0L Although funny thing is, since in my car, the engine is the one that's basically the limiting factor, it feels a bit more stable/secure...since the brakes and suspension are rated for the faster 525i.

Although some people say that in the Phil... driving over 65mph (110kph) is kinda freaky...in any of our roads! Hahahahaha. (It has nothing to do with the car... more the roads! Hahahaha)
    Last edited by jplacson; 04-09-2005 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add'l info

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast