GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: aux fan help

Default aux fan help

My aux fan went on my 94 530i about a week ago, when i called around for some prices i found that these aint cheap (new or used). So my question is there any aftermarket ones I could use or is there any other cars I could get one from that would work in my bimmer.

Thanks

Greg.

did you check the fuse? sorry for the obvious but it's not unheard of to have the fuse for the fan pop, especially if it get's blocked.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default May be also the low speed resistor! Easy fix.

Javier

Tough call on whether or not another fan would work. Did you test the fan switch or the resistor to make sure it actually the fan?

I just spoke with Taylor at BMA and she has a aftermarket ACM one for $260 if your model is the one w/o compression frame.

888-BMA-3911

Quote Originally Posted by gsotis
    My aux fan went on my 94 530i about a week ago, when i called around for some prices i found that these aint cheap (new or used). So my question is there any aftermarket ones I could use or is there any other cars I could get one from that would work in my bimmer.

Thanks

Greg.
    I bought a new one for $145 off a supplier using ebay... Not sure if yours is different. Mine was for a 95 525.
    Scott
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

there are no blown fusses, but when my a/c died on me i tock it to BMW to check it out and they told me i had to replace the fan. how do i check if its somthing else?

thanks alot for the help so far you guys,

Greg.

I tried it with a cheap electric fan that I bought at a local store. There are three wires on the harness for the aux fan: ground, high speed, and low speed. The low speed wire grounds through the resistor on the oem fan whenever you turn on the A/C. The high speed one goes around the resistor whenever the switch on the side of the radiator tells it to. I hooked up the fan to the low speed and it came on every time the A/C was on. It sounded like a toy, but it worked OK. I never hooked up a high/low speed function because running through a resistor would drop the voltage (I think--didn't do so well in electrical science) below 12V, which the fan instructions said not to do.
    I ended up changing to a used oem fan because I was having overheating and electric problems and wanted to have everything working in its original condition.
    Ryan
    1994 525iT

Default Apply 12 Vdc (V + battery) to pin 3, and ...

ground to pin 1 of Fan connector (see picture).

Careful!! High speed will turn on.

Then apply 12 Vdc to pin 2 and ground to pin 1. If no low speed, fan resistor is opened, just get a new one from an electronic store (or www.digikey.com ) and replace.

Javier
    Attached Images Attached Images  

thanks you guys, iam going test it when i get home today, Ill let you know what happens.

Greg