GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: help bleeding clutch slave cylinder

Default help bleeding clutch slave cylinder

can anyone tell me the best procedure to follow to bleed the clutch slave cylinder??

many thanks
    Iain

1993 BMW 525 TDS SE 150K 2.5 Turbo Diesel, performance air filter, lowered sports suspension 30mm, full stainless decat exhaust, boot-lid spoiler, OBC retrofit, E60 Trapezoid alloys

I have the best luck by doing a conventional bleed with either a helper or a pressure bleeder. Do the normal procedure first, then take the slave cylinder back off the transmission (with the pressure bleeder disconnected if you're using one). **Also very important to note that you should never press the clutch pedal if the slave cylinder is not installed. If you do, you'll blow the piston out and that's trouble.**

With the slave now off, push the piston back in all the way while holding the slave such that the hydraulic line is upward. The idea is to force any remaining air back up into the system. When you let the slave cylinder return to it's normal position, you'll be able to hear it sucking in fluid. I usually hold it in for a little bit to let any bubbles rise.

Repeat maybe once or twice, reinstall and maybe do a bit more conventional bleeding to make sure you're in the clear.

That's given me the most success the few times I've had mine off, so good luck!

Default Bleeding the slave cylinder

Hi,

I have found no need to remove the slave cylinder. I just attach a piece of clear tubing onto the bleed nipple, the same way I do for brakes. In fact, bleeding the clutch lines should be no different than bleeding brakes, in principle.

I use a pressure bleeder but the old-fashioned two-person method should also work. One thing I learned was that the clutch seems to take off from the reservoir at a fairly high level so even if you are above the Min mark, the clutch line can be exposed above the fluid level.

Regards,
    Adnan