GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Stereo upgrade questions

Default Stereo upgrade questions

What stereo can be purchased to keep the changer. I have an old system, the Pioneer. Everyting works on it the display lights just went out. I do have the 10 speaker system, what other problems am I going to have with a new deck?

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Badkrma
    What stereo can be purchased to keep the changer. I have an old system, the Pioneer. Everyting works on it the display lights just went out. I do have the 10 speaker system, what other problems am I going to have with a new deck?

Stephen
    From what I udnerstand you have to consider a couple of things:
    How much power will the new deck have?
    Will you still be able to run the stock amp?

I am not sure if there is a current deck that will work with your existing CD changer. If there is I couldn't find it when I was looking.

I went ahead and replaced my speakers and my deck. I said goodbye to the cd changer and hello to an IPOD (got the alpine deck with Alpine IPOD adapter). This would be my suggestion (not that you asked).

Cheers!

Boz
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine

Default alpine

Quote Originally Posted by 1995 525i
    From what I udnerstand you have to consider a couple of things:
    How much power will the new deck have?
    Will you still be able to run the stock amp?

I am not sure if there is a current deck that will work with your existing CD changer. If there is I couldn't find it when I was looking.

I went ahead and replaced my speakers and my deck. I said goodbye to the cd changer and hello to an IPOD (got the alpine deck with Alpine IPOD adapter). This would be my suggestion (not that you asked).

Cheers!

Boz
    Hey Boz, what model alpine did you get? Can you alter the color of the buttons to match the BMW orange lights? How does the alpine ipod adapter work with the deck, as in does it have an aux plug on the face of the deck?

Greg Mendoza

Quote Originally Posted by Mendozart
    Hey Boz, what model alpine did you get? Can you alter the color of the buttons to match the BMW orange lights? How does the alpine ipod adapter work with the deck, as in does it have an aux plug on the face of the deck?
    You can see it here:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/668949/3

The color can be changed to red,green, blue (my favorite) and amber. The adapter is behind the glovebox and my IPOD plugs in from the cable that is running up through the glovebox (see the pictures). Since it goes through the adapter, the sound is cleaned and amplified. I compared the same song from a cd and the same song from the IPOD and the song sounded louder from the IPOD. Worth every penny.

Boz
    Mustbr8kfree

don't bother doing anything unless you are ready to upgrade the entire system.. you will waste a lot of time and money.

a new deck won't (at least not without a shxtload of difficulty) work with the stock amp.. but if you replace the stock amp you can render your 10 speakers pretty much usless (relative to the original setup)

best thing to do is get a whole new system. save up the money and do it right the first time.
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Quote Originally Posted by Incantation
    don't bother doing anything unless you are ready to upgrade the entire system.. you will waste a lot of time and money.

a new deck won't (at least not without a shxtload of difficulty) work with the stock amp.. but if you replace the stock amp you can render your 10 speakers pretty much usless (relative to the original setup)

best thing to do is get a whole new system. save up the money and do it right the first time.
    Good point, which is exactly what I did.

Boz
    Mustbr8kfree

Thank you for all your help.. That is what I was trying to get away from was spending a lot of money....... Anyone have one of those old decks that works and they are not using?

Quote Originally Posted by Badkrma
    Thank you for all your help.. That is what I was trying to get away from was spending a lot of money....... Anyone have one of those old decks that works and they are not using?
    I still have my old factory deck. Is that what you are talking about?

Boz
    Mustbr8kfree

That is what I am talking about, But I need the old style with no wire harnes, unless you have the wire harness for your old dec. (ie... you hard wire the new system)....

Stephen