GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT Computer Q.

Default OT Computer Q.

probably (hopefully) a stupid question. I have 2 identical PCs one here at home and one at work.

The one here at home runs hot...like 145-150 degrees at the CPU, work not so hot. The other readings are around 113 with ambiant around 80~85.

Recently it has been freezing but I think I have that under control but with cpu temps that high it's a matter of time for another bout of freezing conditions.

Im running AMD 1200 and without looking I dont remember much about the rest, I do have a lot of ddr.

The CPU fan was rated very good when I got it a couple years back and I only recently looked at the temps. Everything is clean and blown out about every couple months with little to almost non existant dust in the fan or sink. I also have 2 additional case fans to help.

Any clues or help is appreciated as my post numbers per day are dwindling.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Um, did you reapply thermal paste when you cleaned out the heatsink? Putting on too much can be bad. Check to see if one fan is spinning faster than the other.

Or, for the amount of your time its worth, just order a new fan. Or swap out the one from work and get a new computer at work.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

if the CPU was bought seperate from the PC and was a retail package then the fan should be under the AMD warranty (depending on age). I have no clue where you bought it or any of that, but if the above is true in your case then you can warranty out the chip and fan togehter and get a new one.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

yes, applied new compound as I thought this was an issue, the CPU still works as I am here. Everything seems OK as of today but the temp issue bugs me. Ill check and see what the work one runs at, maybe it is a shitty cpu fan but was rated up to 2800 and I have a 2100 cpu. Maybe its marginal, ill look up new fans.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I understand the heat issues, but maybe the RAM has crapped itself and it now freezing the computer, can you select the amount of volts going to the CPU?, maybe you can lower this and lower the cpu temps in the process.

Are you still running windows 98 on these machines ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

I had a dell when I was in school that developed a heat related problem. It was summer and when the room temperature got to about 80 it would crash. Then it would work ok when the room cooled down.

I had a 3 year extended warranty. First Dell sent someone to change the fan unit. Then they sent someone to change the mother board. Then there were a couple more organ transplants--it can't remember what. Then when it got to the point they were going to send someone to change the video card, and by then I had spent a week of my life talking to one technician after another, finally a guy who was up there on the dell support food chain decided this was nuts. He called my computer in for an autopsy. They gave me a (sorta) new one (refirbished). It worked out for me cause the one the gave me had a faster chip and more memory.

What I learned out of this is that the same thing happens to computers when they overheat as happens to e34 engines. Progressive part failures.

I hope your experience does not turn out to be as frustrating as mine was. Good luck.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

AMD chips run pretty hot, 150F is high but i think the thermal limit is about 85C (150 is 65C)... Unless the contact between the heatsink and the CPU core is poor, 150F shouldn't cause lockups

if you suspect a memory issue, get a program called 'memtest86+'. Put this on a floppy or CD and boot your machine off it. It will run some pretty gruelling tests on the ram (let it run overnight) and display any errors. http://www.memtest.org/

Same thing with the CPU.. there are a few programs that specifically hammer the CPU and get it as hot as possible in order to check system stability... prime95 is the most popular, but someone has made a more basic version (that achieves the same thing) called sp2003. http://sp2004.fre3.com/

Default On one of mine i'm using an abit board which allows me to set to

core voltage and to overclock, if i raise the core voltage to high then the cpu does the same thing as yours...The same thing occurs if i overclock it too much.. it starts to freeze up.... Are you overclocking this one? and is there a chance that your power supply is screwing up, do both machines have the same motherboard and the same brand power supply

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    yes, applied new compound as I thought this was an issue, the CPU still works as I am here. Everything seems OK as of today but the temp issue bugs me. Ill check and see what the work one runs at, maybe it is a shitty cpu fan but was rated up to 2800 and I have a 2100 cpu. Maybe its marginal, ill look up new fans.

absolutly no over clocking and the voltages are in check. Had a ton of true vector errors so updated zone alarm to newer and actually came with a serial! dropped a ton of garbage, cleaned the registry and defraged several times and im still here. Going to check the work clone to see if its the cpu fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    core voltage and to overclock, if i raise the core voltage to high then the cpu does the same thing as yours...The same thing occurs if i overclock it too much.. it starts to freeze up.... Are you overclocking this one? and is there a chance that your power supply is screwing up, do both machines have the same motherboard and the same brand power supply
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast