GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about NOS

Default Question about NOS

My car is a 1990 535 with an auto tranny and 140,000mi on the clock. Will NOS kill it?

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    My car is a 1990 535 with an auto tranny and 140,000mi on the clock. Will NOS kill it?
    I bet the M30 can handle it. But I'm not so sure the tranny could handle the instant rush of hp. But heck, what do I know?
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Not if you get ground effects... paint it candy apple green.

:-)

Charles
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Quote Originally Posted by acyre
    I bet the M30 can handle it. But I'm not so sure the tranny could handle the instant rush of hp. But heck, what do I know?
    -ashley
    Yeah, I'd think the drivetrain is more of a concern than the motor. I know the auto tranny in my car didn't appear in more-powerful cars, so it may not be up to the job. That's why I'm asking the pros.

Also, is combining NOS with an EAT chip a no-no? The idea of having an extra 50-75hp for 5-15 seconds at a time for just ~$1000 sounds perfect to me.
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 09-20-2005 at 12:20 PM.

I don't think too many people here have run NOS, so you'll get some speculation, but if I were you, I would mabye ask some of the 3 series people or even non-bmw people that have run it.

As great as our cars are, the engine won't last forever, and NOS certainly won't help it. It probably won't kill it outright, but if its your only car, only you can decide if its worth the risk of not having a car.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Quote Originally Posted by DanDombrowski
    I don't think too many people here have run NOS, so you'll get some speculation, but if I were you, I would mabye ask some of the 3 series people or even non-bmw people that have run it.

As great as our cars are, the engine won't last forever, and NOS certainly won't help it. It probably won't kill it outright, but if its your only car, only you can decide if its worth the risk of not having a car.
    Well, I certainly don't want to kill the car. My understanding is that most engines can handle a few seconds of NOS without any ill effects, but that you could lunch your tranny, driveshafts, etc. if you're not careful. I'll only go ahead if I can get some reassurance that I'll be fine. Otherwise I'll just keep the $1000 in the M5 jar

NOS is cool, the main cause of its failures is not enough fuel being delivered with the NOS since that tricks the engine into thinking it has more air you need more fuel to burn ,,, or it will go lean...and that only takes a couple seconds to cause a melt down.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    NOS is cool, the main cause of its failures is not enough fuel being delivered with the NOS since that tricks the engine into thinking it has more air you need more fuel to burn ,,, or it will go lean...and that only takes a couple seconds to cause a melt down.
    Thanks. Can anyone vouch for whether or not this is a problem with MY car?

this is a problem with ALL engines. Have to somehow be able to deliver enough fuel.

Thanks. Can anyone vouch for whether or not this is a problem with MY car?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I think what he's asking is will his DME and fuel injectors be able to compensate enough to run, say, a 50 shot without modifications, or would he need to upgrade other parts when installing NOS?

If thats what you're asking, well, again, I don't know what to say because I've never run NOS. Out at the track, I've seen a few guys in 325is's running NOS, but they wouldn't divulge how much they were spraying. At the very least, if I were installing NOS, I would run an A/F ratio gauge, so add that to your cost if you're doing a cost estimate on it.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast