GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the M50 coolant sensor work?

Default How does the M50 coolant sensor work?

I am not sure how the coolant sensor really works. I know it is a float that drops when the coolant level is low. If low, the low coolant message is displayed.

However, when the sensor message is displayed, I think it means there is an electrical "open" vs a closed circuit with the message not displayed. Not sure?

Can someone help me understand it? I still get the message after replacing the sensor. I think itis an electrical issue and want to track it down.

Thanks
    Last edited by Russell; 03-03-2004 at 11:16 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I believe it works like this- when the coolant level in the expansion tank drops enough for the float to bottom out, the electrical connection is made, and the light comes on. On my old 525i, the light kept coming on for no reason, so I spliced the wires together, and had no more problems.

Default Allan -Are you sure?

Uh Allan, when you connect the wires, I think the electrical connection is made. Therefore the sensor light should be "on" based on your description.

BTW, I took my old sensor apart. It seemed as if the electrical circuit is closed when the float is at the top because the two wires inside the sensor body were not insulated at the top (I think). I believe the float was part of the connection at that point because of the proxmity of the two wires and what appeared to metal on the float. I suspect that when the float drops, the circuit is open. However, I could be wrong.

I need to get a life and think about other things

Quote Originally Posted by AllanS
    I believe it works like this- when the coolant level in the expansion tank drops enough for the float to bottom out, the electrical connection is made, and the light comes on. On my old 525i, the light kept coming on for no reason, so I spliced the wires together, and had no more problems.
    Last edited by Russell; 03-02-2004 at 08:55 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

When I connected the wires, the coolant level messages stopped- that's all I know for certain. If I were you I would just remove the sensor connector, and connect the leads with a small length of wire. That's probably the easiest way.

Default You could just replace it for 15 bucks from BMA.

It is a simple job I did in the driveway. One wench difficulty

Default Thanks, but I did replace it with a part from BMA

The problem is that the sensor message is still displayed which leads me to believe the problem is electrical. Also not as simple as you state (IMO) because of the tight space and coolant draining. BTW, what wrench did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill H.
    It is a simple job I did in the driveway. One wench difficulty
    Thanks,

Default Yep, it was tight & got coolant in hair, but used slipjoint

plyers (not really wrench). Not long ago Bill R. posted something about checking & soldering on the circuit board that controls this electric sensor. Check back a couple of weeks for that post...it may be your answer.
    I had crossed my wires on the reinstall...try reverseing them. It worked for me. Good Luck.

Hey -sounds great will try!
    Thanks,

Default First thing to do is to unplug ...

the sensor and bridge with a copper cable the terminals at the connector socket (Leaving the sensor out of the picture). The alarm should go of. If not, there is something wrong in the circuit, otherwise, you have problems with your new sensor. May be the wire from the sensor to the CCM is opened, or the wire from the sensor to the ground is opened (or the ground connection loose).

To rough check, just unplug the CCM, and without removing the bridge in the sensor connector check continuity to ground from terminal 4 of X19 CCM connector. If you confirm continuity to ground from the Terminal 4 of connector X19 (Green) at CCM, there is something wrong in the CCM at the corresponding input, either an open sensing resistor, a cold soldering, or a similar bug. It is also possible a loose connection of pin 4 to the green socket.

Good luck.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks - will check

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast