GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 525 TDS chip - worthwhile?

Default 525 TDS chip - worthwhile?

Assuming I get to solve the starting problem, does the 525TDS (M51) engine benefit from a chip, and if so what does it give and does it make the engine prone to some damage ? I wouldn't be revving it any higher, just hopefully be able to use more midrange torque and better economy when not.
    It does seem to be overfuelled at WOT and above about 3500 revs from the visible haze out of the back.
    Thanks,
    Nick

I've just noticed you're a local lad.

All the best

Bob

TDS? Turbo diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhlx
    Assuming I get to solve the starting problem, does the 525TDS (M51) engine benefit from a chip, and if so what does it give and does it make the engine prone to some damage ? I wouldn't be revving it any higher, just hopefully be able to use more midrange torque and better economy when not.
    It does seem to be overfuelled at WOT and above about 3500 revs from the visible haze out of the back.
    Thanks,
    Nick
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

apparently yes the deisels really respond to a chip,even the later ones
    Gone but not forgotten

I've been in a few chipped turbo-diesel audi's and bmw's and it really gives them a good kick up the arse. loads more torque too. i say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhlx
    What about oil consumption? Are you sure the haze out of the back is not burnt oil?

As Kai@e34.de said, M51 engines are not very good to start with and they don't last very long (usually 300k before they start to smoke badly) so putting a chip in will only shorten a lifespan of your engine.

If your engine is nearing it's end anyway, go for it, you don't have anything to lose, except maybe a couple of thousand kms

If you still wish to go for it, try this link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chip-Tuning-BM...QQcmdZViewItem

They promise 175 HP out of a 2.5l intercooled turbo diesel.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

don't do it. one of the local BMW club idiots chiped a 99 520, got something like 10 hp more out of it , but after an year it souded like crap, drived like crap, and smoked like old truck. yea, and he bought it new. diesels are very high compression engines and don't react well to chips . if u realy want more power think about the exhaust and turbo. diesel exhausts are highly restrictive so u don't get a lot of noise. but if u don't care about noise, u can get a few more hp out of that.
    i don't realy know how the tds reacts to a bigger turbo. i ran a tds turbo on my td( stock is 1.8 bar on td, 2.1 on tds i think) but it failed after allmost an year and i swiched back to stock. it made a slight difference but nothing too impressive. actualy the stock turbo on the td puts out more power at low rpm than the other one.
    i got no ideea how's this going to help you, just wanted to say that in my opinion
    chip+diesel= trouble

Nickhlx,---

What problems do you have with starting your 525TDs?

I have quite a lot of diesel experience, and have just got hold of my first BMW 525TDs

It had a few issues, the seller said it wouldnt go faster than 30, you may have seen a post a week or two ago on that one, Got the car yesterday after being transported back from Scunthorpe bu the AA after the water-pump failed ten mins after I bought it! Fixed it today, Couldnt believe how easy it was to change the WP, Guessed at three hour job, but it was done and dusted within an hour The 30MPH problem --Just a completely blocked fuel filter.--The previous had used what looked and smelled like Kero and waste engine oil as fuel................

Its on nice clean fresh Veggy Oil fuel now, and loving it!--Much more power than that 'Orrible mix the previous had used, and NO smoke at all!

About 'chips', Some types alter the timing parameters which can cause excess wear/tear as well as the fuelling. This type would be great for Veggy oil as fuel, as you need to advance timing for best results anyway, Maybe when I get some spare cash, Ill give one a try........

Need to sort out the suspension bushes/shocks first--clunks and rattles like an old train from the front N/S and when braking!

hey diesels are supposed to smoke!

heheh

that way when u're on the highway and u let loose the loud pedal
    ppl know u're about to pass em from the huge black smoke bomb
    hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by bahnstormer
    that way when u're on the highway and u let loose the loud pedal
    ppl know u're about to pass em from the huge black smoke bomb
    hehehe
    It even makes passing easier because other drivers slow down when they find themselves in a huge cloud of black smoke
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast