GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dif q?

Default dif q?

i have a 1991 525i automatic w/ the m50 and came across this dif and wanted to kno if would be a upgrade for me. i did go to bmwe34.net but don't know how to reed that table. more or less ratio =good? anyways heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...12842823QQrdZ1

with a 525 auto you probably have a 4.10 which is good for off the line but the car makes up for it with a good overdrive on the tranny at interstate speeds, lower #s (like 3.73 or 3.25) get you less rpms at speed and slower take off, if you go too low the motor may not be running in it's sweet spot on the highway and suck more gas
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

ok so higher number makes it so that i can acclerate faster? and have less potential top speed per gear?

yep
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

[QUOTE=pyro]i have a 1991 525i automatic w/ the m50 and came across this dif and wanted to kno if would be a upgrade for me. [QUOTE]

Pyro I thought you had plans to sell your car and get a different one. Did you change your mind? Doesn't make sense to upgrade a car you are planning to get rid of.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

I wouldn't advice to change the Dif. you have, if you didnt get the EAT chip yet then do it, but Dif swap is pain, I'm already suffering from my 3.91 dif after upgrading to manual, I simply cant take off on 1st gear also my top speed is limited due to the same reason. over driving on higways sucks big time its like driving it on the 3rd speed. changing it will make ur ride less comfortable on highways. anyway u can use the 520i Auto differantial or the Manual ... check this table http://www.e34.de/tuning/getriebediff.htm

after a long thought process i decided to keep it as i cant get more than the car is worth to me. since i bought it for <2000 its a killer car for the price. and thats worth something in my mind.

And yes i have a chip its the dinan one. also have a "cold air intake". so i was thinking to get a new dif but don't quite understand which one to get.

so wait... That dif won't be a upgrade for me? or would it?

i have a 1988 735ia in my driveway thats been the parts doner for the e34... would its dif be a "upgrade" where can i find the ratios for a e32 dif? or is the dif completely diferent
    Last edited by pyro; 11-15-2005 at 08:50 PM.

the input flange will most likely be a different size from the e32, they can be swapped BUT it's easy to **** up and kill some parts if you don't know what you are doing (and sometimes if you do, eh jeff/632?! )

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    after a long thought process i decided to keep it as i cant get more than the car is worth to me. since i bought it for <2000 its a killer car for the price. and thats worth something in my mind.

And yes i have a chip its the dinan one. also have a "cold air intake". so i was thinking to get a new dif but don't quite understand which one to get.
    is your car auto or manual?

be glad you only paid 2k....mine was bought for 27k

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast