GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual mass acting up?

Default Dual mass acting up?

Hey just got my new 1992 525im yesterday and had no problems with this noise. Me never driving a stick before now learning on this car/ driving it HARD because its first manual trans might have been very hard on the flywheel with 166000 miles on it (don't think it was replaced). I did the search for the dual mass flywheel and did the little test where turning car off w/ clutch not pushed down, and clutch pushed down. And there is a noise when its not pushed in. My question is can it make that same noise when the engine is lugging a little or driving really slow in a gear and taping the gas and letting off. I hear a similar noise when doing all above and am wondering if its the dual mass flywheel or something else (maybe the car is saying stop driving hard )

And now about converting to the e28 flywheel. so i need that and the pressure plate and clutch from the e28 and thats it? Then whats this about its bad for the transmiton and drivetraine? Is it really bad for the car or no? And i have to switch the trans to gear oil instead of atf?

Sorry for all of the questions. Im a newbe at manual transmitons. My dad is telling me not to worry about it and that manual transmitions make more "weard" noises than auto's.
    Last edited by pyro; 11-23-2005 at 01:14 AM.

at low revs manual transissions do make rattly noises ...dont do it. Use the clutch so that the transitions to power /no power are made smoothly with as little trauma to the driveline as possible.as sonnas you feel any roughness in the driveline its time to change down or push in the clutch(if you are already in first).In slow traffic dont try to drive slower than idle in first by slipping the clutch for long periods,but go at idle in first for a bit then stop then idle in first.....
    Gone but not forgotten

so what do i need to do other than get a e28 flywheel, and clutch kit for e28? somewhere while searching i read you have to put gear oil into it isnted of atf. Im going to go to a junkyard and get one so what should i look for? Do they really go bad ever?

Ohh boy...

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    somewhere while searching i read you have to put gear oil into it isnted of atf.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The E28 flywheel conversion is used on M30 engines. I haven't heard of anyone using one on an M50 engine.

Since your rattle occurs when clutch is not depressed makes me think this is transmission noise. Gear rattle is common when shutting off engine with clutch pedal released. The noise goes away with pedal depressed because input shaft, cluster gear and other internal trans parts are no longer spinning. Get in habit of shutting off engine w/ pedal depressed.

Paul Shovestul

so what do i need to do other than get a e28 flywheel, and clutch kit for e28? somewhere while searching i read you have to put gear oil into it isnted of atf. Im going to go to a junkyard and get one so what should i look for? Do they really go bad ever?
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Ok... I'm getting to that time where my clutch is ALMOST dead (or so i think)... So what places can i look to see if the e28 flywheel will work on the m50? Does anyone know? I actully did search before asking but have came up with no results. Thanks in advance for any help

-pyro

your an exception to the search rule as the other regulars...lol

I havent heard of anyone doing this swap so you might be in unknown terretory.

Ok... I'm getting to that time where my clutch is ALMOST dead (or so i think)... So what places can i look to see if the e28 flywheel will work on the m50? Does anyone know? I actully did search before asking but have came up with no results. Thanks in advance for any help

-pyro
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

correct me if im wrong but isn't the m50's manual tranny the same as the m30's Mabe i should check part numbers from m50 duel mass flywheel and m30 duel mass flywheel. if they are the same it should work right? i have no problem going out and trying it i just don't wnata do it if its a guaranteed not work you know

Ok so heres what i got so far:

For my 525im 6/92 partnumers are as folows
    01 FLYWHEEL 1 09/1990 11221726833 $348.19
    01 TWIN MASS FLYWHEEL D=228MM 1 09/1990 21211223593 $859.32
    01 TWIN MASS FLYWHEEL D=228MM 1 21211223593 $859.32
    I don't understand why theres two of the twin mass flywheels.

Then heres a 6/92 535im
    01 FLYWHEEL D=240 X 33 1 06/1988 11221706577 $507.78
    01 TWIN MASS FLYWHEEL 1 06/1988 21211223010 $1,679.58
    since they are different partnumbers and one is WAY more expensive i think the m30's flywheel is alot bigger or more has more beef. Does anyone know anything elts?

The M50 will have a Getrag 220/5; a mid or late M30 will have a Getrag 260 or 265. The clutch and clutch requirements (ie - clamping force of the pressure plate) are different.

If I were you, I'd be looking at an earlier E30 325 flywheel. Again, no guarantee that it'll fit, but I can't think of any reason why the clutch kit wouldn't work.

If you've not done a clutch job before: replace everything. Pilot bearing, that stupid plastic nub that acts as a pivot point for the fork lever (I know, it seems silly, but I've redone customer clutch jobs because they didn't replace that part, and it costs like 4 cents), and obviously the throwout bearing/pressure plate/friction disk itself.

Also, on the M20/M40/M50/variants, be sure to disconnect the battery when removing the trans. It's really easy to fry the starter solenoid.

best, whit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast