GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One word: M5

Default One word: M5

.... we love them

BMW have finally surpassed all other marques. There's simply no need for brands like Ferrari any more is there?

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

is M5 a word?

Naaah, Ferrari defenitly is...

after learning all the features of the M5 and the fact that it is hand built has made me want one just as much as a ferrari.

I suspect the Ferrari comments are not based on experience
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

m5 isn't hand built lol
    its about as hand built as my 535i was =\

Good one Nick. I love it when the home team wins!
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default how about "hand-assembled"?

Quote Originally Posted by bahnstormer
    m5 isn't hand built lol
    its about as hand built as my 535i was =\
    From the E34 M5 FAQ:

Were the E34 M5s hand-built?

Both E28 M5 and the E34 M5 and where hand assembled.

* The E28 M5 was assembled at the Preussenstrasse in Munich and used the bodies of the E28 production line.
    * The E34 M5 was hand assembled at M GMBH in Garching. The bodies came from the BMW plant in Dingolfing.
    * The E30 M3 was assembled on the 3 series production line and is not hand assembled.

Follow-up:

The M5 of the second generation 5-series was based on the BMW 535i. The 535i bodyshell arrive more or less complete, having been taken from the normal 5 series production line. Most of the other mechanical components arrive at Motorsport as subassemblies. The major mechanical assembly is handled by just one technician or -if they prefer- as a team. The 72 technicians at Motorsport are highly trained, highly qualified and highly skilled. Each car takes about a week to complete, and before its released its subjected to many quality tests, which takes four to five hours, including a test drive. The test is so thorough that the inspector reckon, with a bit of practice, who has assemled each particular car!

http://bmwe34m5.com/faqs/

Quote Originally Posted by bfd
    From the E34 M5 FAQ:

Were the E34 M5s hand-built?

Both E28 M5 and the E34 M5 and where hand assembled.

* The E28 M5 was assembled at the Preussenstrasse in Munich and used the bodies of the E28 production line.
    * The E34 M5 was hand assembled at M GMBH in Garching. The bodies came from the BMW plant in Dingolfing.
    * The E30 M3 was assembled on the 3 series production line and is not hand assembled.

Follow-up:

The M5 of the second generation 5-series was based on the BMW 535i. The 535i bodyshell arrive more or less complete, having been taken from the normal 5 series production line. Most of the other mechanical components arrive at Motorsport as subassemblies. The major mechanical assembly is handled by just one technician or -if they prefer- as a team. The 72 technicians at Motorsport are highly trained, highly qualified and highly skilled. Each car takes about a week to complete, and before its released its subjected to many quality tests, which takes four to five hours, including a test drive. The test is so thorough that the inspector reckon, with a bit of practice, who has assemled each particular car!

http://bmwe34m5.com/faqs/

Here is the signature in Jr's M5 and here is what he says about it. " So after a team of 7 Motorsport mechanics build this beast over a period of 2 weeks, in an almost sterile enviroment. The team leader signs the work of art and dates it in typical German fashion."

Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Don't want to rain on your parade guys, but the new M5 and M6 are not hand build at all not even the E39. They are just as hand build as the other BMW of today. They only get a more thorough final inspection than other BMW models rolling of the assembly line. This according to my brother in law who's a head accountant at the BMW head office in the Netherlands and has seen the process with his own eyes at the factory plant .

As for Ferrari experience; don't even think the new M5 or any M5 at all comes close to the sensations a Ferrari can give you. If you've read prvious posts about the new M5 you could have seen I've driven the V10 M5 and a instructor took me for a drifting session on the track, so I know what the car feels like and it didn't even come close to the 512 TR and the F50.
    Driven both, unfortunately for only a couple of hours but I will never will forget the sensation of speed, grip and supersportscar feeling. An M5, how great it may be, will never, ever surpass a Ferrari.

First do the walk, than do the talk.
    Last edited by Jose; 11-24-2005 at 03:14 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast