GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need a head for a 1989 535i...

Default Need a head for a 1989 535i...

Replaced what we thought was a blown head gasket on a 1989 535i, after having the machine shop pressure test it. They said it was OK. Got it all put back together, but still coolant in the oil. Paid a mechanic to come out and do a compression and leakdown test and he said it could be the gasket or the head. Took the head off and back to the machine shop, and they found a 12" crack in the head.

Now, they are looking to find a bare head, but I want to make sure they are giving us a fair price on the cost of the head, and not charging $$$$$$$ for the part to recoup the labor of swapping everything into that head.

So, what is a good price for a bare M30 head? What years of heads from 735i and 535i cars will work? Does anyone have a head for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by bergie33
    Replaced what we thought was a blown head gasket on a 1989 535i, after having the machine shop pressure test it. They said it was OK. Got it all put back together, but still coolant in the oil. Paid a mechanic to come out and do a compression and leakdown test and he said it could be the gasket or the head. Took the head off and back to the machine shop, and they found a 12" crack in the head.

Now, they are looking to find a bare head, but I want to make sure they are giving us a fair price on the cost of the head, and not charging $$$$$$$ for the part to recoup the labor of swapping everything into that head.

So, what is a good price for a bare M30 head? What years of heads from 735i and 535i cars will work? Does anyone have a head for sale?

head: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-c...spagenameZWDVW

bare head: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...spagenameZWD1V

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake
    head: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-c...spagenameZWDVW
    New on the outside...quite a lot of tarnish for 200 miles.

bare head: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...spagenameZWD1V
    This is definetly new!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I've got one

But, it's supposed to go on a customer's car.

Late M30 heads work. E32/E34, and some late E24 cars have the updated head.

best, whit

Be careful of who you get the head from. A used head might not be the best deal as when you get it you might find it warped or cracked also. If you buy a new head, you are either going to buy a new one from BMW (and sign away your first born) or get a non-OE casting. I did the latter. Shipped it was under 700 but did require a TON of labor on the ports to get them smooth like the BMW ones. It was still cheaper than a new BMW head though. Plus, it turns out better than a new BMW one if the machinist knows what hes doing.

By the way, I went through the EXACT same thing as you. Change gasket, still mixing, swap heads.