GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission shifts abruptly from 3rd to 4th

Default Transmission shifts abruptly from 3rd to 4th

My transmission shifts fine in all gears up and down except upshifting from 3rd to 4th gear. If I am accelerating hard there is much less of an abrupt shift but if lightly applying the throttle the shifting from 3rd to 4th is abrupt. Any ideas? I have a brand new driveshaft and transmission mounts. The problem does not change with temperature. My car was produced in December of 89 and is a 535i with the 4HP22EH transmission.
    Last edited by laguner; 12-13-2005 at 04:24 PM.

have you started changing the fluid gradually and changing the filter?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I have the stuff. I will change the filter and fluid this week but I highly doubt that is the issue since all the other gears work fine.

I had a bit of the same problem, it went away with a fluid/filter/gasket change for awhile, then it sort of came back. Its only abrupt for me if i am accelerating hard up a hill when it shifts to 4th. I would check your fluid level, i have a small leak that i have yet to track down so its sort of hard for me to keep the level right. I think the level may be the main cause of mine, even if it is within the lines, it should be at the top line when warm, i think. If my level is right at the line instead of partway through the problem goes away completely.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

My fluid is at the top but I'll recheck it.

be sure to check it with the engine running and the transmission warmed and in park.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

ahh... warmed, can still hold the hand on the pan, not burning hot not too comfortable.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Mine does exactly the same thing.
    I have changed the fluid three times in about six months.
    After the change it shifts beautifully for a couple of days and then over about a week it winds up back with the good old hard shift into top gear again.

So the fluid change definately makes a difference... but only a temporary one!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Ever consider using a Synthetic? I'm using Mobil 1 in the tranny and for power steering fluid. Tranny is shifting smooth. Either that or I'm driving too fast for it to complain. Don't you guys create a pandemic on 535i slush boxes now.
    Willobmw

On some days mine shifts better than others, i attribute this to the fact that my transmission leaks and the level fluctuates slightly (but always between the lines). I will try synthetic on the next change. Some days i can discern each shift, other days i have to be looking at the tachometer to tell when it shifts. The 3rd to 4th is always the first to be harsh though perhaps its the first to notice a slight variation in fluid level. Maybe i should try over-filling slightly too see what happens... Also, its not really a pandemic, its just a particular quality of 535iAs, albeit not a very desireable one.
    southwest WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast