GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break question paraphernalia

Default Break question paraphernalia

I'm throwing up the idea of new brake lines for the car as they have never been replaced before. I'm sure after 17 years they are slowly reaching their used by date. I'm tossing up between rubber and stainless steel. I know that SS lines won't improve braking performance on the street at all, the only difference that I have read about is that it will firm up the brake pedal. I am young and dumb though, so I want some SS lines anyway.

I want to change the brakelines when I upgrade to 540i rotors and calipers and change it all in one go. I will be retaining the 535i master cylinder. I know there are 4 and 6 line kits also, the 6 line kit supplying each caliper as well as new lines near the rear trailing arms.

For SS brake lines I have found the following suppliers;

Thoughts also on a Caliper Bushing Upgrade Kit. But damm expensive at us$120. The same price at www.bavauto.com where they replace the rubber guide pin bushing with a "machined brass bushings". Are there any cheaper aftermarket alternatives?

the only problem with SS brake lines made in the USA is that I cannot run them "legally" in Australia. When they are made over here, they have to be in accordance with Australian Design Rules. You can buy them over here, but they are at least aus$350 for 4 brake lines. Legaility doesn't concern me though.

What have other members experiences been? I want to know what you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    What have other members experiences been? I want to know what you guys think?
    I went through this last spring. One of the OE lines on the front of the M5 had started to de-laminate and was leaking. After researching SS lines I decided I wouldn't use SS flex lines on my car for use on the street. Even though you can buy them with covers over the braid to keep out the abrasive dust there's just too much at risk. Just put in some new OE parts - I think I paid about U$80 for a complete set from BMA.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Hiya Kriss, whats wrong with the stock lines? I mean they are good enough for BMW to put on the cars, I seriously doubt ANY improvement in any way with SS or the braided rubber lines. Remember I did the racing thing and used plain old brake lines and they were accepted as good for the NHRA and the IHRA.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The original brake lines lasted how many miles? Anthony is right, and everyone I've talked to about the matter said the braided lines were hype. Stick with OE, a proven performer. Besides, they are less expensive.

Okay so the consensus is most of the things on this car are designed to be the best already and shouldn't be touched... like the brake lines... air filter... etc.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Braided brake lines are ILLEGAL in NSW. Don't go there.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

I didn't know they where illegal Wingman, can you point me to legislation that I could read. I've seen plenty of cars in NSW running with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    I went through this last spring. One of the OE lines on the front of the M5 had started to de-laminate and was leaking. After researching SS lines I decided I wouldn't use SS flex lines on my car for use on the street. Even though you can buy them with covers over the braid to keep out the abrasive dust there's just too much at risk. Just put in some new OE parts - I think I paid about U$80 for a complete set from BMA.

The hype about abrasive dust is not a concern if you are using the Teflon Coated SS lines. The Teflon covers the SS Line very nicely. - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Hiya Kriss, whats wrong with the stock lines? I mean they are good enough for BMW to put on the cars, I seriously doubt ANY improvement in any way with SS or the braided rubber lines. Remember I did the racing thing and used plain old brake lines and they were accepted as good for the NHRA and the IHRA.

I have done SS Lines in my e34 and noticed a tremendous difference in my brake pedal feel. Which was what I was looking for. Great improvement in brake response - better feedback for light braking situations as well. I am going to add the Stop Tech lines to my e39 this weekend. I have had the SS STop Tech Lines on my e34 for about 1 1/2 years now. - JT
    Johntee540

Don't forget Goodridge Lines. They and Stop Tech are some of the only 6 line Kits out there. The e34 needs a 6 line kit. If you buy a 4 line kit and install it - I think you are asking for Trouble.

I have a set of Goodridge SS Lines (6) for sale. It came with my Brembo (850 Brake Calipers/ATE Calipers) upgrade I am installing this weekend. I already had the StopTech Lines.

BTW - Kriss - The Arms are on their way to NSW - TJ
    Johntee540

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast