GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E34 oil leak

Default E34 oil leak

I drive a 535i, 89 model with 140000 miles and for about two months I've been noticing an oil leak on the engine block. It's on the driver's side, below the intake and seems like coming from under the starter, I can not really locate the source, the view is blocked by the intake. Has anyone noticed something similar?

Thanks

Default The oil pan bolts can work themselves loose.......

get under the car and look. check all the 10mm bolts. do not overtighten as torque spec is very low. try using blue loctite

Quote Originally Posted by RAZR
    I drive a 535i, 89 model with 140000 miles and for about two months I've been noticing an oil leak on the engine block. It's on the driver's side, below the intake and seems like coming from under the starter, I can not really locate the source, the view is blocked by the intake. Has anyone noticed something similar?

Thanks

Your oil pan gasket may be split also if the bolts are too loose. Mine had loose bolts on the front right corner and the gasket was cracked up into a couple pieces at that spot, so I had to replace it.

Its a cheap part but time consuming fix. Try Scott's suggestion first before attempting to take it apart.
    DanH
    1989 535iA 254k Miles
    1992 535iM 330k Miles

Quote Originally Posted by DanH
    Your oil pan gasket may be split also if the bolts are too loose. Mine had loose bolts on the front right corner and the gasket was cracked up into a couple pieces at that spot, so I had to replace it.

Its a cheap part but time consuming fix. Try Scott's suggestion first before attempting to take it apart.
    Thanks,

I will check the bolts, but as far as I remeber the leak is above the oil pan, it's coming from above the starter, th eview is blocked by the intake, but it's definitely coming from the rear of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    get under the car and look. check all the 10mm bolts. do not overtighten as torque spec is very low. try using blue loctite
    I will check the bolts, but as far as I remeber the leak is above the oil pan, it's coming from above the starter, the view is blocked by the intake, but it's definitely coming from the rear of the engine.What do you think?

Thanks

Default The oil pressure sender is up there on the head.....

Could it be coming from that area and dripping all the way down behind the starter?

I will check the bolts, but as far as I remeber the leak is above the oil pan, it's coming from above the starter, the view is blocked by the intake, but it's definitely coming from the rear of the engine.What do you think?

Thanks

Could it be coming from that area and dripping all the way down behind the starter?

From what I've read I thought it could be the oil sender unit. I can't seem tobe able to locate the oil sender unit, to physically get to feel it and check for any leaks. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Default It's on the head toward the top....

it's at the back of the intake side. The coolant expansion tanks hides it a little bit. It's #16 in this diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=11&fg=15

From what I've read I thought it could be the oil sender unit. I can't seem tobe able to locate the oil sender unit, to physically get to feel it and check for any leaks. Any suggestions?

Thanks

it's at the back of the intake side. The coolant expansion tanks hides it a little bit. It's #16 in this diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=11&fg=15
    Thank you very much!!!

Any suggestiosn as what needs to be removed to get to it?

Thanks again

Default You should be able to get at it without removing anything......

stand at the driver's side and strech under the coolant tank for a good look....you should be able to snug up with a 19mm socket and extension........after you unplug it

Thank you very much!!!

Any suggestiosn as what needs to be removed to get to it?

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast