GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalling going to 200RPM WTF???

Default Stalling going to 200RPM WTF???

Alright, when we were working on the 535 last weekend I ran dry on the tank and the car started sputtering and stuff in the end. I got to the gas station finally filled it up and it was still stalling up and the tach was showing RPMs dropping below 500. Now I started my car today and it was horrible, the RPMs went all the way to 200 and I had no idea how the hell the engine didnt stall but it was probably going to if i didnt give it gas. I ended up just driving off without anything and after warming up it was ok. I have no idea what is going on with the car but lately it has been annoying the hell out of me. Everything started to break.

PS - Since I got 535I parts and if you got a catback from an M50, holler at me

Does anyone know what it can be? Fuel pump? Fuel Filter? anything else? Idle controller?

-Artem

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemLepilov
    Alright, when we were working on the 535 last weekend I ran dry on the tank and the car started sputtering and stuff in the end. I got to the gas station finally filled it up and it was still stalling up and the tach was showing RPMs dropping below 500. Now I started my car today and it was horrible, the RPMs went all the way to 200 and I had no idea how the hell the engine didnt stall but it was probably going to if i didnt give it gas. I ended up just driving off without anything and after warming up it was ok. I have no idea what is going on with the car but lately it has been annoying the hell out of me. Everything started to break.

PS - Since I got 535I parts and if you got a catback from an M50, holler at me
    I suggest you check your plugs, distributor cap and button aren't fouled somehow. Clean them, and check the plug gaps of course. Check your ICV is not faulty- remove, test and then clean carefully (& test again... read up on this first), if nothing there check fuel pressure if you can find a gauge (I can send you one if you need it they are cheap). I say this as it may be fuel related- when was the last time u did the fuel filter? It should be replaced every 80,000km.

Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 03-08-2006 at 01:11 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Ive never replaced it, but then again - i only owned it for like 5k miles. If you can send me a fuel gauge that would be really cool. Let me know what i need to do to get one. The car doesnt have a distributor - its an electrically controlled M50 with indvidual inductor coils. I had problem with the ICV before but I cleaned it and it was umm.. OK after (not great, but still)

PS - I was always wondering, if my transmission is dropping my RPMs in "D", what can it possibly be? --> In neutral it idles fine, but in D it drops, as well as all other "gears" --> modes of operation. Could it be my torque converter?? WHat can it possibly be?

-Artem

PS - you got any idea where I can get a cheap exhaust and a full set of tools, welder, etc, etc? --> exhaust is key.

I'm not experienced with M50s- but I know with those the coils-packs can go... but since it all happened after your fuel problem I'd expect it to be related. You do need to be sure your plugs are not fouled or worn and that's the simplest thing to check. Re the tranny; have you checked the fluid (at temp in park or whatever its procedure is) is not over or under? Is the fluid clean- have you changed it yet? I'd have the pan off to take a look before any more damage could get done, should it be that way- a few days driving could keep the tranny out of the shop for years if the problem can be addressed before it gets too bad.
    Last edited by genphreak; 03-08-2006 at 07:14 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Change fuel filter... by going empty, you suck all craps into filter... plus you strained the fuel pump too...

Default Which crap is that Tiger? The fuel pump pickup is always at the

bottom of the tank, so its always sucking the stuff off the bottom. His problem is more likely that it sucked air and since the fuel pump depends on fuel for lubrication thats when any damage may have occurred

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Change fuel filter... by going empty, you suck all craps into filter... plus you strained the fuel pump too...

Craps that floats and never gets to the fuel pump.

Default Imagine if you will a 18 gallon tank thats 1/4

full, say 5 gallons to give it a nice round number. Now imagine whats happening to that gas on a normal day of driving, sudden stops, acceleration turning corners, wouldn't you think that anything floating on top is constantly being mixed into the rest of the gas all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Craps that floats and never gets to the fuel pump.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast