GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: is there any intercompatibility between I6 steering boxes?

Default is there any intercompatibility between I6 steering boxes?

i know whit has mentioned that each model e34 got its on unique ratio. i'm looking on ebay and car-part and seeing that (vines, et cetera) are selling "indeterminate" units that they say are compatible with 89-92 525/535 models. i would like to put a unit from a 89 535i into my 92 525i. any problems or noticeable steering feel differences? any size incompatability? im aware of the size issue addressed on sean +johan's page. thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

bump. and no, i'm not bumping it to be a jerk.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    i know whit has mentioned that each model e34 got its on unique ratio. i'm looking on ebay and car-part and seeing that (vines, et cetera) are selling "indeterminate" units that they say are compatible with 89-92 525/535 models. i would like to put a unit from a 89 535i into my 92 525i. any problems or noticeable steering feel differences? any size incompatability? im aware of the size issue addressed on sean +johan's page. thanks.
    Shouldn't be a problem. Realoem shows a break in part #s in 09 of 1989. I recall someone stating a difference in the size of 'somethin or other' between years.

I bought a used box from Bret a while back that he pulled from a 535. Don't remember the manufacture date, but it was a straight fit into my 10/90 build date 525im.

Unless someone can tell you more, I'd only buy a box from an e34 built after 09/1989.

Good luck,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

another concern might be the fluid type compatability. Some seals might not like ATF and others might not like the CHF fluids.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy