GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why F1 rules!

Default Why F1 rules!

I've watched Formula One racing now for a little over 20 years now. I've always been facinated with the technology of the cars. Currently, the new spec calls for 2.4 liter (approx. 184 cu.in.) V-8 engines. These engines are now turning 19,000-20,000 RPM's!!! That's approximately 165 ignition cycles (sparks) per cylinder PER SECOND! I still can't believe it's physically possible. Anyway, the point of this post is to provide a link to a video that shows last year's Honda car with 3.0 liter V-10 engine against a Honda full tilt racing motorcycle in a quarter mile drag race. Unbelievable!

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/51275/...vs_f1_vs_bike/

wasnt there a boat too????
    Just finished watching the Australian GP the v8s do rev to about 20,000 rpm,one team still has the v10 but it is restricted to 16 or 17000 revs to limit output to 720 hp,200 hp down on last year.They are already matching last years times mostly because they are allowed (more)tyre changes again
    Complex rules this year !
    Gone but not forgotten

I recon stuff all the rules! Go back to the roots of F1. No rules, just inovation, anything goes, just get the fastest cars on the planet. It seems to me that everytime a new innovation comes along they rule it out. I know there is safety to think about but seriously I find F1 boring compared to what it could be. The other side to this way of thinking of course is that rules actually encourage faster and better cars, which they do. Restrictions/opposition actually make us think of new and innovative ideas to overcome the problem. EG. when turbo's were ruled out, the cars were just as fast within 2 years (from memory please correct me) without the turbo's. Still tho, I would prefer a no rules race.
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

The race today was one of the best....Alonso had it all his own way tho,Kimi posted the fastest lap of the race on the last lap,heidburg in the Sauber bmw came 4th,ralph in the toyota came 3rd
    Gone but not forgotten

i have to admit that f1 lost me few years ago. rules changing all the time etc etc. drivers becoming prima donnas. The wrc drivers seem to be a bit more respectful of their fans. The A1 grand prix is a brilliant concept and I would much rather get behind this than F1 these days. A1 grand prix has 20 nations with the same car and it is totally dedicated to driver talent etc. If you have not had a chance to see it yet have a look and make your own mind up.

Thanks for sharing the siren song of the F1 Robert. Those cars are unbelieveable! I love to hear the engines sing when there's a race on TV, despite the fact of the rules implied in F1 racing, in my simple way of thinking, there must be a reason for them. Can you imagine what it would be like driving one of those?

Jr

i used to be an absolute F1 addict... ever since i was a little tike in the 80s i've been hooked, but i didn't even watch last season it was rubbish.. ruled by money and a few teams with lots of it, there really was no point watching

today's race however.. was AWESOME. the rule changes might not be for everyone but at least it gives us something good to watch! i haven't seen a race that good for years. and we in australia were lucky enough to have MURRAY WALKER (!! legend!) give some brilliant commentary, i usually have to cringe through those pathetic aussie channel 10 goons calling the melbourne race, i wish they'd just stick to v8 supercars and leave the F1 to james allen and martin brundle from ITV, but hearing murrary commentate again was better than anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Randell
    ...i didn't even watch last season it was rubbish...

...i haven't seen a race that good for years...
    I guess you missed out on Suzuka last year then, eh?

What a race it was!! I haven't been this excited since Suzuka last year. Brilliant racing.

I was an addict up until '99. I hated the rule changes they instituted for '98, most of all those ridiculous tire and narrow chassis. I watched for that year, then gave up.

I'm trying to get back into it now, now that the era of predictable Ferrari domination is over. Yesterday's Australian GP was actually a great race, with a dramatic finish.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast