GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tools for changing the timing belt

Default tools for changing the timing belt

I am about to get my timing belt changed but have been told that a couple of special tools are required. Never heard of this before can anyone enlighten me

you don't need anything other then a set of metric wrenches and sockets, the weirdest thing on there is the 32mm on the fan clutch, 2.5mm allen on the rotor if it's bosch and 3mm if it's the crap aftermarket italian rotor
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    you don't need anything other then a set of metric wrenches and sockets, the weirdest thing on there is the 32mm on the fan clutch, 2.5mm allen on the rotor if it's bosch and 3mm if it's the crap aftermarket italian rotor
    Thanks Winfed how long should it take to do the job. It gives me the s..ts that you have to check everthing out nowdays so we don't get ripped off.

takes me a couple hours to do belt tensioner and water pump on a m20
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Book is 3 hours for the belt itself, I think. Don't know the specifics on the water pump. If doing it yourself without prior experience, allocate a weekend, especially if the car's been subject to rust. Otherwise, a shop should charge something around 4 hours for the job, or less if they're nice. It's not a complicated job -- a money maker on the ETAs, as it can be done in less than half an hour. I motors take a coupla hours.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by old bob
    I am about to get my timing belt changed but have been told that a couple of special tools are required. Never heard of this before can anyone enlighten me
    As a novice I was quite concerned about getting the tension right but it really is very straight forward - If I could do it, anyone can do it !

Take your time and change the tensioner pulley too.

Bentley give lots of detail - read and absorb before you start.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Book is 3 hours for the belt itself, I think. Don't know the specifics on the water pump. If doing it yourself without prior experience, allocate a weekend, especially if the car's been subject to rust. Otherwise, a shop should charge something around 4 hours for the job, or less if they're nice. It's not a complicated job -- a money maker on the ETAs, as it can be done in less than half an hour. I motors take a coupla hours.

best, whit
    Thanks for your help will let you know how I finish up
    HAPPY EASTER All

IMPORTANT

After you think you have finished, rotate the engine by hand using the 32mm fan bolt, and make sure it turns freely (at least a couple of complete engine revolutions), if you meet any resistance you could have got the head misaligned - always best to do this rather as use the starter motor because if there is a fault, you will wreck it trying to start it.

Default Crank Pulley??

I haven't heard any horror stories for the M20.

Is it easy to come off, or what?
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 04-12-2006 at 09:50 PM.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default I love it!

Just checked out my Bently's...and, as long as the front crank seal is good, it's just a matter of unbolting the pulley/harmonic balancer from the flange on the crank.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast