GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: engine oil low

Default engine oil low

hi,
    when I came back from a ride this evening(535 e34), I turned off the engine and a message appears under the speedo that said 'engine oil low'. Do you think that I can drive 1km to a garage to buy some oil? or I need to take the bike and by some oil? And how much oil do I need to put in? Can it be too much oil in the motor?

thank you
    had a 1974 land rover serie 3. 70hp.

now own a e34 535. 230hp.

bmw addict newbie.

definetly a left laner.

Default Do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by xuor
    hi,
    when I came back from a ride this evening(535 e34), I turned off the engine and a message appears under the speedo that said 'engine oil low'. Do you think that I can drive 1km to a garage to buy some oil? or I need to take the bike and by some oil? And how much oil do I need to put in? Can it be too much oil in the motor?

thank you
    First off, wait till tomorrow morning to check oil level on dipstick. If its normal, you've got a oil level sensor problem. If its really low, grab your bike, get some oil and a filter and do an oil change.

on my car the oil low warning is just above the add oil mark, your safe to go anywhere you want as long as you check and confirm the level. I dont know how much oil your pan holds but mine holds 8 qts and the dinger goes off at 7 qts which is PLENTY of oil for a short cruise. Sometimes they do get sticky and an fresh oil change frees them up. You running synthetic oil?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy