GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Does anyone know about (small) lawn-mowers?

Default OT: Does anyone know about (small) lawn-mowers?

Need to get one for my mum- she's 70, and I need one that she can use- (she's too fiercely independent to let anyone mow the place for her) so it mustn't be too heavy and cumbersome.

I want to get her a 4-stroke (are there any bimmer drivers that'd buy a 2-stroke??) and ideally it should be cheap... was going to get something second hand and overhaul it- new is way too pricey and she really needs something that is self-propelled (but as small as possible, most of these are large and heavy).

If I get an 'oldie but a goodie' i want something that I can repair properly.

Any suggestions on a good unit? Her lawn is large but well-kept and flat. I am more concerned that maneuvering it around corners and flower beds, etc. will be hard for her.

Cheers, Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I like two-stroke lawn mowers. You can't buy them here any more because of pollution restrictions, unfortunately. They're nice because they're considerably lighter than four-stroke types, they aren't as noisy, they develop torque like an electric motor, and they're usually cheaper. I've had two of them over the years and have always been happy with their performance. I buy the absolute cheapest push rotary mower and just throw them away when they're worn out, or rust through, or the wheels fall off after five or six seasons. Both of the two-strokes I had, the decks eventually rotted through, the engines were fine. Mixing gas is no big deal, you buy the small 50:1 bottles of oil that make a gallon of mix. Just dump the oil in a gallon can and fill with gas -- nothing to measure, no mess. It's as easy as filling the gas tank, and you do it once or twice a season. Mixing the gas is less hassle, IMO, than changing oil in the engine crankcase, which is usually a messy PITA.

Yep, a lightweight two-stroke is just the ticket.

a two stroke self propelled would work nicely for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

specifically the 10696 which has "electric start", sensaspeed, and a honda motor.

My lawn 'ride' (push actually) has a Briggs & Stratton 375 4-stroke and it is bullet proof. Starts first time every time and uses minimum oil. A mate bought a Honda and in his opinion it's crap. He's going back to the Briggs & Stratton.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Mate, you need to buy a 4 stroke self propelled B&S. Is quieter and uses less fuel than a 2 stroke; and you don't want mum to be mixing oil and stuff!It will last forever too. Good second hand 4strokes are not expensive.

isnt there an Aussie rechargeable electric one.Ideal, no petrol to buy, no oil to change/check, no starting hassles just charge and go....ideal for a flat lawn

enviromower
    Last edited by Paul in NZ; 05-06-2006 at 02:57 AM.
    Gone but not forgotten

Mr. Fujioko likes the utility version of the lawnboy . Its two stroke, light weight , no extra junk. The X-Mrs Fujioko liked the fully optioned lawnboy with self propelled and electric start.
    Since I booted her ass to the curb, her lawnboy now collects dust in the shed, and that’s fine with me.
    SOLD!

you live in a "commonwealth" country, so i doubt you'd have trouble finding an electric. if her lawn isn't too big, the only way i'd go for my mother (and she isn't even that old) is electric or cordless electric. they make some very, very small electrics that would negate the effects of the self-propelled so long as the grass isn't too high. if the lot is kinda big, the wireless electric works ok. i think that you are likely overestimating an old lady's ability to pull start a gas motored lawnmower. i'd suggest that, if you are married, drying out (so it isn;t primed) your gas mower and letting your wife/so play the pull/prime game. most women types will give up on it if it is too hard, and more importantly, end up with sore shoulders/injuries while trying.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast