GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally changed tranny fluid

Default finally changed tranny fluid

I've probably had my tranny filter kit for 3 years and I finally got the nerve to change the fluid out. Used Mobil 1 synthetic, let it drain overnight, ended up replacing almost 6 quarts. Now that I've got an e28 for an extra car I'm going to tackle all the projects I've been putting off. The tranny service was actually pretty easy, as I've read the procedure so many times. Will probably do again in about 5k as the fluid was a bit dirty.

Greg Mendoza

Mobil 1 seems to work well for me in cold or warm weather. I have about 15,000 miles on my last filter/oil change on my trany. No issues. My indy used about 7-8 quarts as he also blew the old fluid out of the trany cooler.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Kirt recommends a 30k interval between changes...or is it 15k...hmmm
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I plan on doing mine every 15k or once a year (20-25k)

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Default Yup, do mine once a year too

since you only change whats in the pan and miss the torque converter.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I did get a trans program about a week ago, after driving about 20 miles hwy, I exited freeway, put in sport mode, and it revved to about 4k and bling. Today it did the same thing, only in sport mode. I'm going to get the code read this week. Are the codes stored, or do they reset after ignition is off? The car has 196k now, so even if these are the early signs of tranny death, I got my moneys worth.

Greg Mendoza

a low fluid level will throw the code too with no other symptoms.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

change mine every 30,000 miles as recomended
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    change mine every 30,000 miles as recomended
    I would have thought that with synthetic you could slowly strain the fluid to clean it, after all synthetic doesn't wear like dino, so maybe it is just as good to strain it and change the filter regularly.

FYI: Castrol Transmax Z is the only synthetic ATF that ZF has approved for use with the 4HP22.

If Mobil 1 is red in colour then the prick at Peake Performance that charged me $500 for a valve adjustment, trans and diff oil change without changing the trans filter might have actually used Mobil 1 ATF in mine.

I changed to Castrol Transmax Z afterwards as I lost all respect for them then. If he did actually use Mobil 1, Castrol works a lot better than Mobil 1 in the 4HP22 as it made a nice difference to my trannies changes.

However if it isn't red the bastards just ripped me... I can't see why Mobil 1 is not cool, but ZF saw a reason either not to bother testing- or approving it. From my research on this ages ago, it was apparent there was a lot of people in trouble for using different fluids - or rather Dealer's claiming no coverage for failiures due to the use of synthetic ATF. It might also be worth noting that at the time (at least in Australia), Mobil 1 was the only synthetic fluid marketed in the aftermarket. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

IMO, doing it yourself is a pain. The car has to level to check the fluid at specific temps. As I do not have a rack, I do not like the idea of my car high on 4 jack stands and idling for about 30 minutes.

I let my indy do it. They know what they are doing and I do not.
    Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast