GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M50 Performance

the gains depend on the car.

in a 2003 nissan murano, my mix yielded 33MPG 85% highway 15% city driving.
    EPA estimate is 24mpg, so that is a MASSIVE improvement.

a lot of people with dodge neons report about the same level of improvement in highway mpg, going up to the 60 mark.

in MY car, i got a good 57mpg on the way back from the gas station (45mph average, uphill and downhill) according to the OBC, although thats not typical.
    the terrain and traffic conditions were just really in my favour, and i didnt go below 10mph the whole way back. but thats still awesome!!!!

more typical is about a 20-25% during highway driving, and 10% during "spirited" and city driving for my car.

all my testing is done with ethanol free gasoline. I do not recommend using acetone in gas containing ethanol. the testing i did with E10 gas provided little improvement in performance and economy.

----------------------------------------------

in addition to the POSSIBLE gas savings, acetone helps in other ways...

1: cleans injectors and metal parts of the fuel system
    2: lowers freezing point of gas (good for winter)
    3: decreases surface tension of gas, better vaporization in engine = more torque
    4: removes carbon deposits from valves
    5: slight increase in octane (not very calculable, but enough to stop most pinging with medium octane gas)

now keep in mind that i am not using acetone alone, but a mix.

the other chemicals provide lubrication to the fuel pump, fuel pressure regualtor, injectors, and cylinder walls.

they also allow a hotter combustion which allows greater expansion of the exhaust gases, allowing more power from the same amount of injected fuel.

they work together with the acetone to improve both the efficiency and power of the engine, more so than one alone is capable of.

in the end, the money i spend on additives and premium ethanol free gas is less than i was spending on regular premium gas before, so I win!

Thanks for the input guys I am curious about that bigger throttle body upgrade where do I get one?

EAT Chip/K&N Panel Filter/Blaupunkt MP46/JBL 15" sub/Crimestopper Alarm/e38 basketweaves/Deutschland Plate/Clear Corners

Bill R.
    3 Grand Master Join Date: Jan 2004

Mythbusters just did the acetone deal the other day on

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the discovery channel. 0 gain , nada , nothing
    Is that the one with bleach,sugar etc as well?
    Gone but not forgotten

hi there...well 2 my knowledge the chip wot do much 2 the HP...a max of 10-15 hp will increase...thtz ma knowldge...let the experts put more light on tht....so experts plz reply

10-15HP is about the same as a $1000 exhaust system, so the chip is well worth it.

I did the acetone think on my previous car, a ford sierra, it did help a bit.

Could you transfer your mix into metric values? Liters and desiliters?
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    performance chips do use more gas during acceleration, that power comes from somewhere you know!

however, if the O2 sensor is biffed, considerably more fuel could be used without the chip thinking anything is wrong, if yours is over 60K miles old change it.

also, if you add 1oz of pure acetone per 3.3 gallons of gas (3oz per 10 gals, thats NOT a lot at all) you can expect to see an increase in gas mileage greater than the decrease caused by the chip, however that increase will lessen in conjunction with O2 sensor accuracy, but nevertheless increase.

DO NOT ADD MORE than that amount, otherwise the gas will be gains will be lost.

I currently add 3.5oz/12 gallons + 2oz of FP60 + 1oz of Lucas UCL, and get about 10% better mileage than the EPA figure for the car, even with my lead foot and performance chip.

OK, I'll try to convert using the original message...this is straight math conversion, so I appologize for being so specific.

BillionPA (Converted)....
    ------------------
    "performance chips do use more gas during acceleration, that power comes from somewhere you know!

however, if the O2 sensor is biffed, considerably more fuel could be used without the chip thinking anything is wrong, if yours is over 96.5K kilometers old change it.

also, if you add .295 liter of pure acetone per 12.49 liters of gas (.088 liters per 37.85, thats NOT a lot at all) you can expect to see an increase in gas mileage greater than the decrease caused by the chip, however that increase will lessen in conjunction with O2 sensor accuracy, but nevertheless increase.

DO NOT ADD MORE than that amount, otherwise the gas will be gains will be lost.

I currently add .10liter/45.42 liters + .059 liters of FP60 + .029 liters of Lucas UCL, and get about 10% better mileage than the EPA figure for the car, even with my lead foot and performance chip."

---------------Hope this helps.
    Last edited by HDhandyman; 07-01-2006 at 08:04 PM. Reason: being more specific

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    the discovery channel. 0 gain , nada , nothing
    Didn't they use some POS carburated V8 on that test ?
    I think the acetone to gas improvement thing is for FI motors.

Is it the same one they tried to seaze up with sugar in the fuel ?
    The one I heard that really freezes up motors is KARO syrup in the crank case oil. After one heat and cool cycle the corn syrup crystalizes in the bearings.

MB does not do the myth correctly all the time.
    They really screwed up replicating the ripping out of the rear end of the cop car, as in the movie "American Graffiti"......
    They even tried to redo it , but used a much more heavy duty car than used in the movie.....with the same poor results as the the first attempt, which had the totally wrong type of car...
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt

the acetone thing is specifically for fuel injected cars in terms of mileage gains.

older generation fuel injectors get the best gains.

newer fuel injectors are more efficient and dont always get as much, but still benefit due to the better combusion.

I currently add 1 liter/45.42 liters + .059 liters of FP60 + .029 liters of Lucas UCL, and get about 10% better mileage than the EPA figure for the car, even with my lead foot and performance chip."
    1liter acetone in 45 liters fuel seems alot. I use about 0,2 liters aceton for 50 liters fuel on my previous car.

What is FP60 and Lucas UCL?
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast