GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installed my M5 center console

Default Installed my M5 center console

It looks like this..:

I ordered the one for cars with black leather interior.. Still i think mine is looking a bit bright? its allmost grey I would say.

pic:

I thought it should look like this:

just for reference, this is the part called " DEPOSITING BOX BOTTOM PANEL "
    Part #: 51162237026
    Last edited by Espen; 07-04-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

Take a better picture.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Looks a nice piece of kit. The colour is just that the exposure is out by about 1 - 1.5 stops. Looks black to me judging by the rest of the black trim.
    BMW E39 528i SE 1999
    BMW E34 525iA SE 1992
    BMW E34 535i SE 1988
    BMW E28 525i
    BMW E24 628 CSi

http://web.mac.com/johnstjohn1

Don't tempt fate, slap it and then taunt it!!

how much was it and where'd u order from?

I just got the exact same part for my car and kinda have the exact same complaint. The photo of what you thought it would look like is also the photo that prompted me to order the part.

I think it may be down to the material. The part you and I both got is kind of a soft-touch matte material unlike anything else in the car. The second photo you posted looks more glossy and a closer match for what's in the car.

I don't know if the two parts are in fact different or if it's just down to the photo, but I'm also a bit disappointed with the way the part doesn't exactly match its surroundings.

Let me know if you find out more.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Looks pretty smooth to me. Why don't you just clean out your interior and sit on it for a couple of days. Try to let go of the pro photo that you ordered it from. I mean a burger from McD's doesn't look anything like it does in the photos when you order, but they still taste pretty damn good.

Cheers

It's not a pro photo. I think it's reasonable to wonder if we've somehow ordered the wrong part.

I think you're right to suggest we 'sit on it', but if it turns out there is indeed another part that more closely matches that second photo, I would like to know about it.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

it's hard to see what you mean, although if i didn't see the item I'd understand better, if that makes sense? I just took your image and adjusted it so that blacks look black (took the shadow area of trim) so that all else falls into line tone and colour wise, and it looks black to me. From your pic it is the same as the surrounding interior trim. So is your trim a grey too? Your photo does not convey the colour difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    BMW E39 528i SE 1999
    BMW E34 525iA SE 1992
    BMW E34 535i SE 1988
    BMW E28 525i
    BMW E24 628 CSi

I think I can clear this up. BOTH parts are black, no doubt about it. But the part Espen and I both received is kind of a soft-touch matte plastic that diffuses light differently that the other parts of the interior. So it's just as black, but seems less so because of the material's texture. It's difficult to describe the material, but it's not what I expected and it doesn't match anything. It feels like a more modern material that we find in our cars. It's the kind of touchy-feely plastic you find on all kinds of things these days, from razor handles to screwdrivers to the HVAC buttons on new premium cars. But it's unlike any material used in an E34, AFAIK. It kind of has the same feel as a rad hose -- rubbery. The second pic made both Espen and I think it would be more leathery.

In the second pic, the console part seems to have the same smooth, glossy quality of the leather on the seats. But the part that Espen and I have looks more like weathered leather.

I can vouch for the fidelity of Espen's photo. It's not down to lighting or camera settings. His pic shows very accurately what the part looks like. But I can't say if the second photo looks different that the first because of a different part or not.

The difference could be just down to the photos, though I doubt it. It would be good to know for certain. I'll post some pics of my own when I get around to it.

Off topic: Espen, I presume that wire in your pic goes to the aux input of your stereo and lets you plug in an MP3 player. I thought about doing that myself exactly as you have. Can you share the details?
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 07-04-2006 at 04:51 PM.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Seems to be an anti slip type material?
    Could do with that on my consol, mobile phone flies all over the place!
    Wonder if they do one for automatics?
    BMW E39 528i SE 1999
    BMW E34 525iA SE 1992
    BMW E34 535i SE 1988
    BMW E28 525i
    BMW E24 628 CSi

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast