GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Performance Muffler for my 1992 525i

Default Looking for Performance Muffler for my 1992 525i

Hello everyone, I just bought a 1992 525i @ 170,000 miles last week and it needs a few things. One of them being a new muffler. The OEM one that is on it now is totally rusted out(huge hole on it). Since the muffler needs to be replaced I figured I would look around for a good performance one, but I haven't had much luck finding one for less than $500. I really don't want to spend any more than that for a muffler. I also don't really know of any brands of mufflers for the car, except for Remus, and SuperSprint which are both very expensive, becuase they say you also need a resonator that is made by them to go with the muffler. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Magnaflow. Flowmaster.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

i think ANSA is a cost effective upgrade in the exhaust dept...can be found from bav. autos site and other places

Straight pipes. Glasspacks.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Waste of time on a 525. I had a custom exhaust put on mine and it's a disaster. Going back to stock. Keep it as stock as possible, no muffler will give you any significant extra performance except more noise, unless that's what you're looking for. My 2 cents...

Jeff
    I prefer to be misunderstood rather than having to explain myself all the time...

Default define "performance?"

What are you looking for? Louder/more noise? What about things like durability? My OE muffler lasted almost 10 years - I consider that "hi peformance."

Further, since OE BMW mufflers are known to be highly efficient, I recommend replacing with OEM Eberspacher. At about $200, you'll be hard press to find a better "performing" muffler!

fart can muffler donated from community civic. priceless.

i remember reading that someone put a 535 one on there 525 and i sound great. i was wondering if this was true? wats the difference? is the preformance better too?

ps. OT anyone know a good place to get windows tinted in the bay area i got like 5 cars that need it so im trying to find a good deal

Quote Originally Posted by bfd
    What are you looking for? Louder/more noise? What about things like durability? My OE muffler lasted almost 10 years - I consider that "hi peformance."

Further, since OE BMW mufflers are known to be highly efficient, I recommend replacing with OEM Eberspacher. At about $200, you'll be hard press to find a better "performing" muffler!
    Yeah, I want something that's going to sound nice, not loud or obnoxious, just something that has a nice throaty sound to it. Durability is pretty important.
    Last edited by Trancide; 07-10-2006 at 07:13 PM.

The OE exhaust is already a performance exhaust. It also has the nice feature of fitting properly and being quiet.

It also lasts forever, mine has 183,000miles on it and is still ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast