GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker replacemt

Default Speaker replacemt

without changing head unit and amp, spending thousands of hours and money, is there any benefit to just replacing the speakers? The sound isnt bad just wondering if it can get any better and I definetly dont want it quiter or garbly with replacements either.

any ideas are hapily encouraged!

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

To be honest, I think you would have better and cheaper results if you replace the crappy stock HU and add a SUB. If I turn on MediaExpander mode(basically an adaptive equalizer) on my Alpine unit, the stock speakers work very well for low-medium volumes. However, since I do not have a sub they quickly run out of breath.

Also don't forget that you will have this tiny stock amp amplifying a signal for 10 speakers, the results can't be good.

someone stole 2 of my speakers!!!

I can only count 8 (retard mode?)

25 watts each for the 4 5.25" isnt that bad, seems you could get better sound from newer ones compared to the old really dry stiff ones. What you think? Im looking for someone to say do it but I really dont think it's worth it...Idonno.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You got 2 tweeters on dorrs, 2 on the dash by the windshield, 2 on the kick panels. And in the back you have 4 (BMW counts them seperate). Its really up to you if you want to take the plunge. Just let us know how it works out.

if you raise the rear speaker grill you will see that its acually a 4.5" and a tweeter in the rear decks. I use to wonder why everyone said 10 speakers and I counted only 8.

2 in the dash
    2 in the quarter panell
    2 front tweeters
    2 rear 4.5 inch
    2 rear tweeters

Darron,
    93 525i

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    someone stole 2 of my speakers!!!

I can only count 8 (retard mode?)

25 watts each for the 4 5.25" isnt that bad, seems you could get better sound from newer ones compared to the old really dry stiff ones. What you think? Im looking for someone to say do it but I really dont think it's worth it...Idonno.

I just did MB Quarts (i know, you said not costing a lot but still..) hooked up to my Alpine head unit... results are unbelievably noticeable.

Default ok, if I put a couple 5.25 co-axials in the rear

and eliminate the invisible rear tweeter maybe it will have more sound back there, just not sure if I should go with a single midrange in the kick panel or a co-ax (hidden tweeter by leg syndrome). The dash tweeter has definetly seen better relaxation before the rubber surrond stiffened it up and Im sure there are better 1" tweets for the doors than in 94.

I dont want it to be as throbbing as the Can-am but better sound would be a bonus.

Can-am has 2 - 15" wofers in the rear deck with the trunk as a box, 600W rms earthquake amp and a few various speaker locations with 2 ear melting horns in the rear deck pointing at my head. Full on you can barely hear the 468 open headders at full throttle... that stereo causes mutations.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

You would be wasting your time and money with the coax's in the rear. Reason, the speakers are crossed over in the factory amp. Depending how you hooked them up, you would be missing your tweeter frequencies(if you hooked them to the old woofer connections) or you would be missing your woofer frequencies(if you hooked them to the old tweeter connections). So, only one speaker on the coax would ever hit.

As mentioned above, I'd change your headunit for immediate improvement.

With the new headunit, should be a day and night difference. If your still not happy with the sound, look into changing the speakers then.
    1992 525i
    2004 545i six-speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast