GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: de-cat

Default de-cat

just wondering if it's worth de-catting my e34 or not , as the cat rules on mot don't apply until 1992 and mine was made in 1989

Sure, you will probably get more power especially at higher RPMs.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

i was wondering the same. i was thinking remove my cat, and replace my tri-flow muffler with a borla muffler, but leave the resonators and piping in from the tri-flow cat-back. i think w/o a cat it'll give it more air-flow and with the borla muffler, it'll give it a more throaty sound. whenever you hear that distinctive sound of a mustang cobra that is super loud and very throaty, it's borla. about 30 of them are around my area that i see and hear daily. but what about the computer? will it still run okay?

What does the computer have anthing to do with the cat. The o2 sensor is before the cat - you will have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hatched91
    i was wondering the same. i was thinking remove my cat, and replace my tri-flow muffler with a borla muffler, but leave the resonators and piping in from the tri-flow cat-back. i think w/o a cat it'll give it more air-flow and with the borla muffler, it'll give it a more throaty sound. whenever you hear that distinctive sound of a mustang cobra that is super loud and very throaty, it's borla. about 30 of them are around my area that i see and hear daily. but what about the computer? will it still run okay?

i'd forgotten i'd asked this, good to know it can be done with no ill after effects

i've detached my cat from my e34 and putted an sport muffler,the sound is great,and with this modification i think i've obtained till 5hp.
    the cat is an part that need to be changed in time,but few people know that.
    mine was broken

yeah i know . i've changed a fair few of them in my time

yeah i didn't look under the vehicle before i asked, i know some have precat and aftercat or just after cat. i think i'l talk to a few muffler shops to get a price quote. i'd like to go with no cat and a borla muffler. that means b&b tri-flow muffler will be up for grabs soon.

yeah got to looking and you're going to need two long pipes that are bent and what not, my guess around $100 at a shop. i want to go y pipe after the downtubes to a 2.5" pipe all the way back to a borla muffler. does anyone know if it's better to have the muffler at the end or have a tailipipe with a tip?

okay, went and had the cat cut out. cost be about $60. one pipe was 3' long and the other was 3.5' long. i have a cat-back b&b tri-flow exhaust and it really sounds like garbage, but then again there are a couple of exhaust leaks. i have 2.25 piping back. i believe if i can sell the cat-back exhaust, i can have true dual exhaust run with two glass-back style borla mufflers. i believe that will give me a much throatier tone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast