GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: How afraid should I be of a Jaguar?

Default OT: How afraid should I be of a Jaguar?

I've always heard people talk terribly about jaguars and reliability issues, but i've also heard people talk terribly about BMW and reliability issues.

Anyone know anything about XJS's? Specifically a 1990.
    104,000miles, plenty of documented work from one shop that has been serving the car since the present owner purchased it.

Default i made a comment about a bmw vent blower motor price to my mech.........

then he told me that the jag that was in 1 of his bays needed 2 & they were almost 3 times the price each.
    tim s.

Hmmm.. where's aston_jag_tech?
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

If you like I can fax you the volumes of repair receipts from a Jag I once owned, it was only a six which is regarded as reliable by Jaguar standards.
    I love the XJS for it's shape and Jags of the era for the interiors etc. Unfortunatly they are poorly built. Fords ownership has only served to remove the cars only redeeming qualities, pedigree and personality.
    If you do buy one you will have a firm grip on it because they are VERY difficult to sell.
    I was recently tempted again on an XJS, an unrusty desert car, but in a five minute test drive was aware of thousands of dollars in repairs looming. It's a shame but they are just no good.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

That's too bad. Maybe i'll still arrange a test drive just to see what it's like.

I think he wants a little too much money for it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    If you like I can fax you the volumes of repair receipts from a Jag I once owned, it was only a six which is regarded as reliable by Jaguar standards.
    I love the XJS for it's shape and Jags of the era for the interiors etc. Unfortunatly they are poorly built. Fords ownership has only served to remove the cars only redeeming qualities, pedigree and personality.
    If you do buy one you will have a firm grip on it because they are VERY difficult to sell.
    I was recently tempted again on an XJS, an unrusty desert car, but in a five minute test drive was aware of thousands of dollars in repairs looming. It's a shame but they are just no good.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    I've always heard people talk terribly about jaguars . . .

Anyone know anything about XJS's? Specifically a 1990.
    104,000miles, plenty of documented work from one shop . . .
    Are there any prices on the documented work? I certainly don't see many old jaguars on the road if that is any indication.

From experience, I was hoping all the naysayers were wrong about Land Rover, then I bought one, now I am one. If the British engineering in my Rover is anything like the engineering in a Jag, run away fast.

Cheap components, bad switches, faded plastic, rust everywhere (even on the aluminum body . . . still trying to figure that one out), electrical problems that will need an exorcism, a window regulator, rear wiper arm, jerry-rigged headlight drainage, and some other weird issues I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Did I mention it's an '03?

I've been trying to sell it for 4 months, just not to any friends of mine.

A buddy of mine owns an '84 XJ6 and needed the rear brakes replaced, which requires the *removal* of the rear axle. I rest my case.
    Job 14:1 Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.
    az

I LOOOOVE the XJ-S.

Don't compare servicing costs to other cars, because you can't compare the XJ-S to other cars. It is unique, and magnificent at that.

Don't think of it as costing more to maintain than a BMW. Rather, think of it as an amazing, timeless example of Britain's idea of the ultimate GT for less than the cost of a lease on a new Civic.

It's true they didn't put her together right, but that's not her fault. With TLC she will undoubtedly give you your money's worth in enjoyment and pride.

Sigh...
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 08-29-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default They make nice pet cars

something you can spend hours pampering and working on.

V12 has a fuel delivery problem (flame on) with the injection system, and the electrical has a circus of gremlins running through it.

But they are beautiful cars...

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Not bad for a car first built around '74 odd. V12's are nice but I'm afraid it's British, and I am a Brit! Still a car to behold on the motorway, great presance on the road, and with fuel as cheap as it is over on your side of the pond ecconomical to run!!!!!!!
    BMW E39 528i SE 1999
    BMW E34 525iA SE 1992
    BMW E34 535i SE 1988
    BMW E28 525i
    BMW E24 628 CSi

http://web.mac.com/johnstjohn1

Don't tempt fate, slap it and then taunt it!!

I think they're some of the best looking cars out there, i love them too.

Common $ense is probably going to win out over the sexy black v-12 beast though

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i
    I LOOOOVE the XJ-S.

Don't compare servicing costs to other cars, because you can't compare the XJ-S to other cars. It is unique, and magnificent at that.

Don't think of it as costing more to maintain than a BMW. Rather, think of it as an amazing, timeless example of Britain's idea of the ultimate GT for less than the cost of a lease on a new Civic.

It's true they didn't put her together right, but that's not her fault. With TLC she will undoubtedly give you your money's worth in enjoyment and pride.

Sigh...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast