GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve Cover Gasket a bit bent.. problem?

Default Valve Cover Gasket a bit bent.. problem?

Ok, so I'm getting geared up to do my first valve adjustment ever.. and the first time I'm taking apart my car (any car for that matter) to the point where you can see their inards. That said, I ordered a gasket kit online and it came shipped direct from Beck/Arnley. Problem is when I took it out of the box, the gasket, still shrinkwrapped to a piece of stiff cardboard had a bend on one end. It's about 40 degrees from horizontal. I straightened it out, and put a phone book on it. It seems to be ok and there is no visible damage, but I wonder how sensitive this gasket is to damage. Anyone have any experience with that?
    1990 535i - 5 spd - Red on black - LSD
    Mods: EAT chip, Sachs Sports Kit, Racing King Subframe Inserts, staggered M-Parallels (replicas) with BFGoodrich g-Force Sports.

is it plastic or paper

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

If it's not cracked or broken it's fine. Search here for the banjo bolts topic regarding the retaining bolts for the oil lines that feed the top end on that engine. If in doubt use some silicone in that area.
    Follow the procedure for the adjustment carefully as having the cam in the wrong position will negate any adjustment you do. Too loose is better than too tight.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

To be honest it's hard to tell.. since I haven't taken it out of the shrinkwrap. It appears to be a metal spine attached to some paper laminate.
    Looks like this:

I know that picture is pretty much useless.

EDIT:
    Just noticed that towards the right hand side of the gasket in the picture it looks just like mine does.. it's got a bit of a bend in it on the horizontal plane I guess they bent that one too..
    Last edited by rreimund; 09-07-2006 at 01:23 PM.
    Mods: EAT chip, Sachs Sports Kit, Racing King Subframe Inserts, staggered M-Parallels (replicas) with BFGoodrich g-Force Sports.

Default Banjo Bolts

Yeah, I saw the banjo bolt issue.. How many was it I needed? Anywhere I can get them online, I hate dealing with the local dealer.. not to mention I work in NYC, so by the time I get home it's way late to deal with them.

Where do you mean to use silicone? On the gasket?

I ordered a VC gasket for my 535i as well and it was bent during shipping causing a crack to appear in one side of the material. If yours doesn't have any tears or cracks, its probably safe to use. I ended up having another one sent to me (my compliments to AutoHausAZ.com). HTH

Cool, I guess I'll inspect it closely to be sure.. and if it's not cracked I'll use it.

it's going to leAK

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

maybe put some of that oil glue stuff

what it call RTV or something

Most of the folks here use BMA. There is also europarts direct. Or the dealer, the parts guys are usually happy to help and if you appreciate their efforts will often give you the trade price.
    Or try Hunterdon BMW in Lebanon, NJ they will ship to you if you like. Ask for Rob, tell him Ross with the "wrong" tps sent you.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast