GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17" Tires - Any reccomendations ?

Default 17" Tires - Any reccomendations ?

Indy says my rear tires are not holding a balance. Time for new. They are Michelin Pilot Primacy - was hoping to not spend that much. Had Kumho's on my 15" , was thinking about maybe somethign a little better. Looking for opinions - 235/45/17 is the size.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    Indy says my rear tires are not holding a balance. Time for new. They are Michelin Pilot Primacy - was hoping to not spend that much. Had Kumho's on my 15" , was thinking about maybe somethign a little better. Looking for opinions - 235/45/17 is the size.
    Sumitomo HTRZ's, $70/each at tire rack. I've had great results with these.

How about some nice Brisgestone Potenzas? or My personal Fav - GoodYear Eagle F1 - They give a good balance between grip and longevity (depending upon how many 'burn-outs' you pull and how hard you corner....).

My car came with Fuzion ZRI's i replaced the fronts with Fuzion HRI,$200 for the pair.They haven't failed under some fairly hard driving , maybe severely hard...They're a Bridgestone/Firestone brand

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/fuzion...009-tr_brand2&
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

the pilot primacy's are extremley soft they give good grip but don't last that long, you're probably better off with either continentals or bridgestones

I like the Eagle F1 GSD3s also. I have them on my e46, and they're wearing well so far. Very sticky also.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

I love my AVS db S2's

Super quiet, all season, high performance. About $800 all in with lifetime balancing, flat repair, warranty.

I was a total Michelin only driver until this tire.

Cheaper tires will whine like a MF'r after about 15k

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Default A good match for the Primacy is the Kumho KT11

I tore up a Primacy recently and found the Kumho Esta (sp?) KH11 to be a great replacement and for half the price of the Michelin... according to TireRack's prices.... Mich Primacy in 235/45 17 was $204, whereas Kumho KH11 same size was $104... and the tread pattern matches perfectly...

I realize you're looking to replace all 4 tires, but for me I wanted a good match... for whatever it's worth...

http://www.kumhotyre.co.uk/news/news0304.html

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Default I'm using Bridgestone Turanza LSZ's

The Turanza LSZ is Bridgestone's high performance grand touring tire. These are four season tires and not dedicated summer tires. I'm running 235/45-17 on my 1991 535i with style 5 wheels. For the most part, I've really liked these tires. They have a decent ride but still handle pretty tightly. They are also fairly quiet too. I also have a set on the wife's 1997 Camry. They are very expensive though in the larger diameters. I lucked upon a new set for less than 1/2 price on Ebay about a year ago. You might check Ebay out. You can save searches that will send you an email anytime a new item is posted that matches your search. I saved searches for my tire size and the brand names I was looking for. Every so often, you get lucky...and I did. I'd also recommend going to Tirerack.com. They have great prices and great service. They also perform quite a few tire tests comparing 2-5 tires in a given tire category. Also, you'll find a ton of reviews from people who bought and used each type of tire they carry. An enormous amount of information and probably the greatest resource for tire info on the net.

Hope all of this helps!

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

Bridgeston RE050 on sale at Tire Rack for under $100... the treadwear is low but everything else is rated real high.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast