GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incorrect VIN Number

Default Incorrect VIN Number

Strange, but true. Shortly after getting my E34, I went off to the local Stealer to get some parts. When checking against their catalogue, they told me my VIN identifies my car as an E28, and was I sure it's an E34? I mean, really!! Can't you *see* the difference? Anyway, I never gave it another thought - until now. I was checking this link out of curiosity http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi and guess what? It reports my car as : Vehicle Code = DC78, Series = E28, Production Date = 1989/12. All the other info supplied seems correct. Anybody out there experienced an incorrect VIN? And how is it possible to have the incorrect VIN? Or is the VIN database simply wrong, even though the local BMW dealer also said I drive an E28.

I thought that E28 production was all but discontinued by 1988. e34 started in 1987- the two overlapped a little as (I guess) they were staging the commisioning of the e34 production lines with intial supplies to certain markets a little before others for wahtever reasons.

It is time like these I wish we had an ex-BMW person on the board to tell us why things were done this way or that. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Kinda sucks tho, have you had it examined? Maybe its been changed illegally. I'd ask BMW to confirm how it has happened if you are really sure it hasn't been... they should at least correct the database and give you a fun explanation to tell us all...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Interesting that BMW claims it to be an E28 built in '89, December no less.
    E28 ended with the '88 model year and cars built in Dec. "89 would certainly be '90 model year cars.
    I'm not knowledgeable on BMW's internal workings but it sure looks like an error to me. Perhaps the dealer's database is F'd up.
    Maybe one of the members here who is in the employ of BMW can double check this.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Kinda sucks tho, have you had it examined? Maybe its been changed illegally. I'd ask BMW to confirm how it has happened if you are really sure it hasn't been... they should at least correct the database and give you a fun explanation to tell us all...
    Although the car was built in S.Africa, it's original owner was a German National who bought the car new, effectively making me the second owner. This German fella was pretty much in love of his pride and joy, his full spec "German" 535i 5-speed, so I doubt the VIN has been modified in any way.

I think the online VIN decoder does not work for cars produced in South Africa.
    And in ZA they often mixed some models, such as parts from the E12 and E28, and they were usually built longer there than in Germany.
    But I have no details in the E34 produced in ZA.

A picture of your car would tell all.

This is an E28: http://www.e34.szm.sk/files/pic00a.jpg
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

PM me or e-mail me the last 7 of your vin and I can check with head office for you. my info is in my profile of course.

hope I can help.

dablack
    92-535

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Go_Lucky
    Although the car was built in S.Africa, it's original owner was a German National who bought the car new, effectively making me the second owner. This German fella was pretty much in love of his pride and joy, his full spec "German" 535i 5-speed, so I doubt the VIN has been modified in any way.
    Yep it's an E28.... South Africa got any and all left over body shells in knock down form to build up for their local market........

Real BITZA'S.... Those cars.

What motor is in it????

I've seen 4 E28's here in West Australia with CARBY M20's under the bonnet..... And E12 brake systems

Rossco
    Last edited by Ausmpower; 09-20-2006 at 08:51 AM.
    BMW parts professional

Previous rides:
    BMW
    E12 M535i (go the dogleg!)
    E28 M535i (MMM M88!)
    E34 535i M

MAZDA:
    RX7 S-IV T04 (440 hp ATW)
    RX7 S-I 13b bridge port
    RX4 13b peripheral port

Quote Originally Posted by DABLACK
    PM me or e-mail me the last 7 of your vin and I can check with head office for you. my info is in my profile of course.

hope I can help.
    I know the visual differences between an E34 and an E28 .... how do I paste a pic for the doubters out there ... my vin is bf23557

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast