GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Solid check engine light at Stomp Test?

Default Solid check engine light at Stomp Test?

If i do the stomp test and the check engine light stays solid does that mean there are no codes stored or that I'm doing it wrong or that the '95 540 uses some other method of getting any codes? I have Oxygen Sensors on the brain for some reason .Can i get at them if i just back the car up unto ramps?I could probably rent a pair.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

My '93 525 does the same thing. tried to get the codes for about 30 minutes - stomped until my leg was sore and didn't get so much as a flicker.

if its a solid check engine light, and never even flashed once it either: doesn't have the ability (<0%) or you didn't engage the stomp test. you are turning the key to pre-ignition and stomping the pedal 5 times quicklyk, right? not accessory position. if you don't see an oil pressure light, you didn't turn the key forward enough.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Yep - did it two clicks, all the idiot lights came on - stomped 5x - solid check engine light. Rinse & repeat about 600 times - same result. I heard that the non-U.S. spec cars did not have this feature. I need to look up my vin.

Quote Originally Posted by shrike071
    Yep - did it two clicks, all the idiot lights came on - stomped 5x - solid check engine light. Rinse & repeat about 600 times - same result. I heard that the non-U.S. spec cars did not have this feature. I need to look up my vin.
    I just got mine to work after trying a billion times myself.

What I wasn't doing right was not starting the pushing of the pedal soon enough after getting the ignition to the on position. I was waiting a few seconds before starting and it didnt' work...

Maybe you did that, but put the ignition on and immediately start 'stomping' the pedal 5 times.

All the best.
    1995 540i E34 Green V8 4.0L Auto Style 5's 200,000 KM's

When I first tried the "Stomp" test, I did the 5-step stomp 'til I felt like a one-legged pole dancer at a hoe-down.

I can get it to work almost the frst time now, the trick is as stated, start stomping as soon as the key gets into position 2 and the lights come on.

heh...another trick is you dont need to release the peddle all the way, just need to get that little button to press 5 times fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    When I first tried the "Stomp" test, I did the 5-step stomp 'til I felt like a one-legged pole dancer at a hoe-down.

I can get it to work almost the frst time now, the trick is as stated, start stomping as soon as the key gets into position 2 and the lights come on.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

And if you miss the first time, turn it off and start over.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by KenB

^^^^^hahahahahahaha

maybe thats why mine didnt work, i was waiting till all the beeping and noises stoped then i would stomp the hell out of it. thanks for that tid bit il let you know if it works on mine

1995 BMW 530ia/3.15lsd/M Parallels/Eibach/Bilstien/Magnaflow

Thanks. Just read this thread and ran a successful stomp test. I also was waiting for the lights to go out on my previous tries. Was rewarded with a 1444 code!
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R