GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Oil Change

Default First Oil Change

I went to get the first oil change on my car since i've purchased it. I've put 2,000 KM's on it since I got it, but I had no real idea when the last oil change really happened (they told me they did it a couple months before, but who really knows).

So off I go to Mr. Lube (who have always been good to me, unlike some of my friends). Drive in and they tell me they don't have the filter. Sorry can't do your oil change.

But I know another one not too far away, so I thought I'd try my luck there. I only had time Sunday afternoon to get it done, so away I went.

They had it... supposedly.

Started the oil change, then they tell me I have a canister oil filter and need to charge an extra $15 to change it. Uh, what???

not impressed at this point, but it explains why the other place didn't have it. Why does a car come with a canister filter anyways??

So they get the filter and go to put it in and it DOESN'T fit! AHHHH!

The kids that work there were pretty good though, he seached around to find the right one, it turns out their 'computer' had the wrong part number noted for it.

Not a good experience, and it's costing me $15 more for every oil change now. I like the drive through experience, but I think that's ridiculous.

Still love my car though.
    1995 540i E34 Green V8 4.0L Auto Style 5's 200,000 KM's

why not get the oil filter from bma or bavauto and change it yourself? its guite an easy job.

A good reason for doing it yourself !

If you're not sure how, look at Bruno's site : www.bmwe34.net

There is a real satisfaction in doing it yourself and knowing it is done right !

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

They overcharged you. Avoid quick lube joints like venereal disease.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by pgrindstaff
    why not get the oil filter from bma or bavauto and change it yourself? its guite an easy job.
    You don't even have to go to a specialty house for a filter. I get mine through NAPA. They can usually have one there in a day or less. Cost isn't much more than a standard spin on. I buy 5 at a time.WIX brand/NAPA Gold, stay away from Fram
    They also have sealing washers for the drain plugs, engine and transmission, usually in stock. .20 a piece, copper or aluminum.

Find a REAL auto parts store and it will make your life easier. NOT Shmucks, Kragen, Checker, Autozone etc.......... only good for light bulbs and oil there.
    Last edited by Spasso; 12-04-2006 at 05:34 PM.
    Spasso
    530iT, 525 5-speed , 328is.

Default Join the rest of us neurotics

and change the oil yourself, and spend sleepless nights pondering sludge, the best oil weight, to go synthetic or dino or blend...should I shorten the change interval.....

Whew! I need my medicine

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

when i went to the dealer to pick up a filter last week, i said "need an oil filter for an E34 V8"

they guy walks to the other counter, sticks his hand in a massive box, taking up half the space under the counter (it was the only box there) pulls a filter out "here you go!"

30s in and out, $15, easiest shopping experience ever.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa

30s in and out, $15, easiest shopping experience ever.
    BMA had 3 for $15 (M50), but I had to wait

So ChiefCory, you might have had three high quality MANN filters for the 'extra scratch' you paid. Let it eat at your soul and you'll be doing your own oil changes soon enough

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Yeh DIY is the only way to really know it got done right. However if you are like me without a garage in the freezing cold, I break down and go to a valvalene. I buy my own filters and they put it in. Just chat it up with the tech so he knows your not like all the other goobers that come through there, who could care less about the car. At least it comes w/ a free touchless wash.

Default Lucky, The quicky lubes

out here won't touch a canister, and they can't reset the oil service lights.

they see a BMW and say " sorry we can't do it, you'll have to go to the dealer"

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast