GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 535iM 1991 - rubber smell occasionally

Same here- not much commute, and it has almost the same mileage. The clutch shows no signs of age or wear, and I'm pretty (ok not really) easy on it most of the time. I can't find any service records of it ever having been changed either, but I'm sure it was, since it has over 100k on it.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Sticking brakes (carefully touch each wheel next time you smell this).

Could you please be more specific? Where would I touch and what would I be looking for?

Default Check your center bearing or guibo

could be coming apart.. the rubber smell is usually from my tires and brakes.. oh how i love this car

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos
    Sticking brakes (carefully touch each wheel next time you smell this).

Could you please be more specific? Where would I touch and what would I be looking for?
    Yeah - if one or more wheels is HOT, it's probably from excess friction - and it could mean what you smell is burning brake pads.
    1994 530iA Sold
    2003 FX-35
    1991 MR2 Turbo

just fyi, I had the smell before and after I changed my brake calipers and pads, front and rear.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Well...I have to get my yearly state insepction within a month, and I am pretty sure that I will have to have the rotors/pads/sensoors replaced, so I guess I will see if this takes care of it. Thanks.

Default nobody mentioned the obvious... are any of your belts loose and

slipping to the point where you might be smelling them... Do you every hear a squeal from the belts on startup or when you turn the airconditioning on?

Well...I have to get my yearly state insepction within a month, and I am pretty sure that I will have to have the rotors/pads/sensoors replaced, so I guess I will see if this takes care of it. Thanks.

No sqeals, but good thought. Will check them.

Default In case you should need a major repair...

This is a good application for consumer credit (credit card). Let's say the sky falls, and the car needs a $5000 repair. This could be a major inconvenience to pay that out in cash, and some folks simply might not have it lying around. But credit card payment allows the pain to be spread out over time, so that it can be more manageable. I do NOT suggest using credit for "upgrades" or mods. Having a sound older car repaired for several thousand seems much better to me, than replacing the car with a REALLY big installment loan for a new Honda, or whatever.

When my 3-year old Corvette needed a valve job (about $2500 in today's money), I traded the car in, because there was no such thing as a credit card back then, and I couldn't see my way clear to spend that much on a car repair at that time. But I could easily afford the relatively small monthly payment for the new car. Maybe I would have kept the 'Vette, if I could have financed the repair with a credit card.

Maintain the car fastidiously, and chances are your major repairs will be modest and few. But you will have them, so you need to be prepared emotionally, psychologically, and fiscally, to deal with the situation.

That's good news. Boy, I do love this car...but that earlier thread about the money pit they can be continues to rattle me and I fear every little whiff! I cross my fingers. One thing in my favor is that I only drive the thing about 6k miles a year (with 125k on it). So maybe I can continue to dodge some bullets.

Default What tire & rim combo are you running?

I am frankly afraid of asking this question...but I have noticed that there is faint rubber smell when I get out of the car. When I look into the engine bay nothing looks amiss and I do not see any smoke.
    I am hoping that it is just a rubbber tube touching something hot, but I fear that I am naively optimistic!
    Thank you in advance,
    Thanos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast