GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Windows Vista Final

Default OT: Windows Vista Final

Being the lucky chap I am, my mom is an MSDN developer - I downloaded the Windows Vista DVD (legally) from MSDN developer site, requested serial number, and installed on my laptop (Dell 600m 1.6GHz Centrino) and crossed my fingers. This laptop is not my primary PC, though I should consider it as such since my desktop motherboard is in the mail, HOPEFULLY.

Anyway - I put this OS on and honestly, it's neat. Obviously there are some issues with driver support and what not (for instance, since my computer is centrino a lot of the components on the laptop are modular and Dell is slow to release drivers) but it seems to be solid otherwise. I installed AIM and it's not taking so far but I will try compatibility mode and what not. Surprisingly, Mozilla Firefox installed perfectly - so much for Microsoft weeding out competition eh?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is running this yet - again, this is not a pirated version or a beta, it is the final release that has been opened to MSDN members - I am running Windows Vista Ultimate, and so far, so cool!

Will post screenshots later.

will try it out after i get a DX10 video card.... in about a year.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Screen shot as promised...

windawz vista, what's that?
    the last windows worth anything was released around this time seven years ago...
    i still haven't found anything that doesn't run on it.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I just bought my dell laptop so I get a free upgrade... I hope my dual core 2ghz/2gb ram/256ATI can run it....

And yea, Ill be installing about 60 days after public release... Ive been in the IT industry during every major MS release from Win95 to XP... and Im glad Im out now... clients used to call me pissed cause crap wouldnt work on the new OS.

I remember the ****in wierdos that camped out for win95.... before camping out for game systems was cool (PS2).

PS, Jon, your new sig sucks.... why? I hope its some sorta inside joke.

I'm looking forward to installing Vista on my Mac and see how it behaves with different hardware. I am also hoping that Parallels really takes off, that way I can run Vista and OS X at exactly the same time on the one machine!

hakwuzhere, I think Jon K's signature is a picture of him driving his car, what sucks about that?

Quote Originally Posted by hakwuzhere
    And yea, Ill be installing about 60 days after public release... Ive been in the IT industry during every major MS release from Win95 to XP... and Im glad Im out now... clients used to call me pissed cause crap wouldnt work on the new OS.

I remember the ****in wierdos that camped out for win95.... before camping out for game systems was cool (PS2).
    I interviewed at a place the other day that asked me my take on being an early adopter. I said "in a lab or controlled environment, fine, but you need to make sure *all* of your applications work before hand". You think I spit on them, they didn't believe that at all, I got odd looks. I'll dual boot it on my laptop but there is no way I'm going to force that out on my users anytime soon. I see no advantages to it yet.

Now I have to decide when to push the button on the Office2007 ZEN install. That's going to be painful.

I installed the Vista RC1 release on a AMD Athlon 64 3500+/1Gb RAM/NV 6600GT system and it was stable. All hardware installed without a hitch. I didn't experience the same issue as Jon with AIM mainly because I use Trillian for all IM needs (AOL is not on my good list). My biggest complaint was that the drivers for my mp3 player (Creative Zen Micro Photo) would not work correctly in the Vista environment. As a result, I finally gave up on trying to get them to work and just installed XP. I loved the 3D desktop feature and the gadget panel is quite amusing as well. There was a conflict between the gadget panel and an application (I think it was ZoneAlarm) at startup, but that was an easy fix. Just my $.02
    Last edited by Rus; 12-21-2006 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hakwuzhere
    PS, Jon, your new sig sucks.... why? I hope its some sorta inside joke.
    I am not sure I get what you mean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast