GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me into (or out of) an E34......

If your MIL is going to drive it make it a simple yet safe car. A camry is a very viable option. My folks have 2 and Dad logs a ton of miles on his and has had no problems.

When we had our kid my wife went to flex time and I changed my hours so we didn't have to deal with outside childcare so often. We ended up hiring a nanny who lived 10 minutes away. She was a swim instructor and knew CPR (something for your MIL - ask her to take an infant CPR class!). I don't believe in daycare, I see too many horror stories (I work for a DHHS agency).

Another thing, how long is MIL going to want to drive 140 miles/day for? What happens if she's sick or the weather is poor?

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses guys.

My MIL would come to our house to look after our child. My wife lived far away for the last 10+ years, and we just moved back to this area in the last 2 years. So, her parents are still very excited to have her "close" by. Both her parents are rescue squad paramedic volunteers in the small county they live in, and my MIL is a dietician. So they are both medically qualified to handle most emergencies.

I'm not being henpecked into the MIL thing; I think it a 500X better option than letting someone I don't know raise my child. I'd expect to pay $400+ a week for decent child care/nanny, so buying a car plus paying for gas comes out cheaper than that in a year or less. Besides, my MIL was the one who offered.

Since it is a long drive each day, that's part of the reason I thought it'd be good to get her a nice car. So she's not tired and worn out just from the trip.

As far as bad weather, etc, my wife is a pharmaceutical sales rep and she sets her own hours. I can also work flextime if needed, so if things came up one of us could stay home if required.

Can I just buy aftermarket bushings for the front end? I've installed polyurethane bushings in pretty much every suspension control arm in my 300ZX. They were considerably cheaper than stock and hopefully won't wear out as quickly. They also communicate much more to the driver; great for a sportscar, but maybe not for a commuter/luxury car.

I've got 6-8 months to make a choice and find the right car, which gives me options.

Thanks,

Mike

Ice and snow is a consideration if the MIL is commuting every day. IMO, even though I own a 95 with traction contorl, I would feel better if my MIL was driving something with 4 wheel drive.

I would consider a 2001 4-runner. More money but a safe vehicle as it has traction and stability control. Downside is fuel and vehicle cost. Another tought is a Subaru.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Ice and snow is a consideration if the MIL is commuting every day. IMO, even though I own a 95 with traction contorl, I would feel better if my MIL was driving something with 4 wheel drive.

I would consider a 2001 4-runner. More money but a safe vehicle as it has traction and stability control. Downside is fuel and vehicle cost. Another tought is a Subaru.
    We live in the very southernmost part of Virginia; not that much snow/ice usually. She halready owns a 2003 4Runner she can drive on the days there is inclement weather.

Thanks,

Mike

My wife is now acting no-so-happy about a 10+ yr old vehicle for her mother. Sigh.

What about a '97-'98 528i auto? My research shows they are a very good car also, if a bit less reliable than the late E34's. If I have 6-8 months to look, is it reasonable to hope to find a '97-'98 E39 with less than 100K miles for $7K-ish?

Can you fit the 17" wheels from an E46 on an E34 and/or E39? Haven't checked the offsets yet.

Thanks,

Mike

Bimmer mag has a buyer's guide for the e-39. It was published in August 2005. Check NADA, Kellys etc. for regional pricing. I think your price at $7K-ish may be a bit low.
    BTW, the 97 supposedly had teething problems being the first year for a new car. However, they should all be sorted out by now. Anyway just my thoughts. BTW, I assumed your MIL had a NEW 4-runner.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Bimmer mag has a buyer's guide for the e-39. It was published in August 2005. Check NADA, Kellys etc. for regional pricing. I think your price at $7K-ish may be a bit low.
    BTW, the 97 supposedly had teething problems being the first year for a new car. However, they should all be sorted out by now. Anyway just my thoughts. BTW, I assumed your MIL had a NEW 4-runner.
    Do you have a copy of that article you wouldn't mind emailing me? I Googled, but can't find it online anywhere.

I've only been looking for cars for a week or two. I have found a few low-priced E39's; mostly from individuals, and high mileage though. $7K seems to be about the low end based on KBB, etc. I might get lucky if I find someone wanting to get rid of their car quickly. Probably dreaming though :-)

Thanks,

Mike

you have mail. However, no digital copy.
    Thanks,

you have mail. However, no digital copy.
    Thanks, you've got mail also.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by swenpro
    If it was for your own use, I'd say go for it. But if the daily driver isn't in love with the car, she is not going to be thrilled when small things keep showing up. I always have little things I'm fixing. BMWs are high maintenance, and I won't deny it. Additionally, I know there are all of like 2 on this forum, but I personally have never met a woman who likes her E34. Generally speaking, it's a guy's car.
    Au contraire. I love mine. Here in SoCal you see lots of women driving them.

I talked my husband in to buying a 90 525 in 2000 as a 4th vehicle in our 2 person family. The reason was so we could haul our extended family around more easily than in our other 2 door vehicles (our kids have wrinkles). We wanted something the infirm could get in and out of easily and could accommodate the visiting family members with children. We are dedicated 5 speed people and there are not a lot of 4 door 5 speeds to choose from. After we got it, we loved it.

When hubby wanted to move on to an SUV, I wanted to keep the 525 cause it was such a great car. Then I found my 535 which is a better twin of the 525.

They are high maintenance and there are always little things that need to be fixed. If she knows that and understands that those things go to your "honey do" list and if you fix them promptly, what would she care?

As cars go, you could not find anything that would be easier to deal with as far as the car seat issue. (Translates to back saving).

Swenpro's comment about her liking it does have a point. You might want to take her on a test drive. She will be happier if she was part of the decision.

To appreciate an e34 you almost have to understand the automotive niche it fills. It is a luxurious sporty autobahn cruiser. It survives accidents well. It puts a lot of steel around you without a big footprint. If she is happy in a 4 runner, the size of the e34 should be ok for her. They handle well compared to other cars. Safety and comfort appeal to women. Make sure your MIL understands this about the e34.

Edit: I just told my husband about this post. He said, the answer is e34. Now what is the question, because the answer is always e34.
    Last edited by Gayle; 12-24-2006 at 01:21 PM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast