GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Head Gasket Problems??

Default Head Gasket Problems??

My 1989 520i BMW decided to call it quits yesterday while I was driving for about an hour from home. It lost power and I notice white smoke coming from the engine. I opened the bonnet and I realised that the smoke was coming from below the engine head somewhere. I made the car cool down and checked the coolant levels and oil levels which were fine. What I noticed however was some white residue in the oil cover cap. The mechanic came and said that the head gasket is blown. I had to just get a wrecker to take me and the car home. Should I just buy a head gasket or should I buy a head gasket set? I am not too familiar with head gaskets at all.

Quote Originally Posted by julielewis
    My 1989 520i BMW decided to call it quits yesterday while I was driving for about an hour from home. It lost power and I notice white smoke coming from the engine. I opened the bonnet and I realised that the smoke was coming from below the engine head somewhere. I made the car cool down and checked the coolant levels and oil levels which were fine. What I noticed however was some white residue in the oil cover cap. The mechanic came and said that the head gasket is blown. I had to just get a wrecker to take me and the car home. Should I just buy a head gasket or should I buy a head gasket set? I am not too familiar with head gaskets at all.
    It's probably best to buy the head gasket set at this point.

Hope you get your car running again.

Quote Originally Posted by julielewis
    My 1989 520i BMW decided to call it quits yesterday while I was driving for about an hour from home. It lost power and I notice white smoke coming from the engine. I opened the bonnet and I realised that the smoke was coming from below the engine head somewhere. I made the car cool down and checked the coolant levels and oil levels which were fine. What I noticed however was some white residue in the oil cover cap. The mechanic came and said that the head gasket is blown.
    I would get that cylinder head checked out before you spend any money replacing the headgasket. There could be a crack in it, making it junk.

HTH,

Shaun M