GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any last minute advice before I do my clutch on saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by filip00
    ceramic clutches are very good at resisting fading, important is to have the pressure plate - or, clutch basket - strong enough to hold it.

I've got the ceramic clutch and the stage 5 pressure plate. 100% clamping force over stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Bill - I just went and grabbed my "lower block gasket/seal set" and it has the rear main seal - so I am replacing that. Easy to get the old one out?

I am somewhat worried about the clutch alignment tool though, I don't have one! People say its not necessary... but... I don't know. I scoured everywhere I know (zymunts, aka bimmerparts.com, thompson bmw, circle bmw, autozone, advanced auto, napa, etc) and no one has one that they can get within the week. ARgh!

Picking up pilot bearing today - kind of worried as to how I'll get the old one out.
    Jon,

have you tried Koala? I don't know if Brett still rents tools, worth a look though.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Bill - I just went and grabbed my "lower block gasket/seal set" and it has the rear main seal - so I am replacing that. Easy to get the old one out?

I am somewhat worried about the clutch alignment tool though, I don't have one! People say its not necessary... but... I don't know. I scoured everywhere I know (zymunts, aka bimmerparts.com, thompson bmw, circle bmw, autozone, advanced auto, napa, etc) and no one has one that they can get within the week. ARgh!

Picking up pilot bearing today - kind of worried as to how I'll get the old one out.
    i don't know if it will work on a germanian car, but autozone will rent you a pilot bearing puller.
    http://www.autozone.com/in_our_store...tch/clutch.htm

otc tools makes an alignment tool, you can look and call here and see if any of their distributors closest to you has one in stock
    http://www.otctools.com/distributors/index.php
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 01-04-2007 at 11:39 AM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by granit_silber
    Jon,

have you tried Koala? I don't know if Brett still rents tools, worth a look though.
    -ashley

Its like a $2.99 tool worth buying! Argh!

Default Motormite makes the plastic alignment tool for

your car, Motormite is in PA somewhere , if you do a little research on the internet you can find them and call them direct, maybe they are close to you.
    You can get the motormite part number off the autozone site. Clutch alignment tool

Its like a $2.99 tool worth buying! Argh!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    your car, Motormite is in PA somewhere , if you do a little research on the internet you can find them and call them direct, maybe they are close to you.
    You can get the motormite part number off the autozone site. Clutch alignment tool
    Yeah I saw that @ AUtozone - no luck finding Motormites # however. Called all the autozones in my area - they don't sell the tool seperately, only in a clutch kit. ****. I asked if the clutch kit is returnable, alluding to maybe using it to center my clutch and then bringing it back, and they said "no". Additionally they said they'd have to special order the clutch kit anyway, so I don't think it'd be here in time.

Bill - my E30 friend says that it is more than possible to simply line it up and hold it and have someone torque the PP down on it and it's fine. What do you say to that?
    Last edited by Jon K; 01-04-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Doesn't autozone or anyone else still sell the clutch alignment set with a bunch of different pilot bearing sized adaptors? Used one of these on my old benz 190 when i had to do the clutch on it, made everything a snap. It was just something they stocked on the shelf, not unique to the car.

Hrm - was it something you bought or rented? I am making runs to all sorts of car shops today I will look around.

advance auto might have one as a rental, 'cause this is the same brand as their rentals

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...arttype=&ptset=

try using your zip code and see if it makes a difference, as i live in a small town. i don't know if they offer an overnight shipping option or even how much that would be, this browser is too old to do the 128 bit jazz for their checkout to see.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Jon, the motormite part number is here

HERE

You should be able to call any number of auto parts stores for Dorman parts and find the motormite parts As far as lining it up and bolting the pressure plate on, it is possible but the odds are against it. I've done it before but i've also had cases where i couldn't get it to go in at all until i dropped the trans back down ,loosened the pressure plate again and attempted to line it up again, tighten pressure plate bolts ,raise the trans back into place and repeat this process over and over until its finally close enough to go in.

Its much easier to find a universal alignment tool, find a motormite specific tool, or even make some kind of a tool. If you know anybody with a bad trans like yours pull the input shaft out of it and use that, its the best alignment tool you can find.

Yeah I saw that @ AUtozone - no luck finding Motormites # however. Called all the autozones in my area - they don't sell the tool seperately, only in a clutch kit. ****. I asked if the clutch kit is returnable, alluding to maybe using it to center my clutch and then bringing it back, and they said "no". Additionally they said they'd have to special order the clutch kit anyway, so I don't think it'd be here in time.

Bill - my E30 friend says that it is more than possible to simply line it up and hold it and have someone torque the PP down on it and it's fine. What do you say to that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast