GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injector replacement? 170K miles, 535i

Default Injector replacement? 170K miles, 535i

I have been reading up on injectors. I have never replaced mine; 171K miles. The simple question is, "should I replace them"? The car is running fine, perhaps a bit down on power, idle is OK, but not like new cars. I plan to check the ohm's tomorrow, want to see between .4 and .8 on each.

How would I tell if the injectors are not working up to spec. I assume they are working as the car is running 'ok'.

Thanks

Sc
    scott 4991
    535i, 172K miles

basicly you get new ones when you feel the need. car running good is your call on replacing them. If you can afford them www.fiveomotorsport.com has great deals on the new style.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

they go down hill so gradually you never seen a difference, the disc type design II 19# 4.6 mustang injectors work good, one of the first mod's stang guys do is go to bigger injectors so low mile take outs aren't hard to find, i've gotten two sets off of ebay but theres some worn out crap out there too so watch out

you may check out any speed shops in your area to see if they have a pile of them
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks for the replies. I'll think on this.

sc
    scott 4991
    535i, 172K miles

I was also thinking of injectors. Lately I started having problems with cold starts (meaning engine is not hot, not cold weather). It takes longer to start the engine, and after that it idles roughly, sometimes stalling. I just keep the rev at about 1200rpm for about 20 seconds and its ok then. Before this it would take a second to start the engine.
    Is this because of "leaky" injectors?
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

probably a vacuum leak or crappy plug/oil/water in the plug tubes

Quote Originally Posted by t_marat
    I was also thinking of injectors. Lately I started having problems with cold starts (meaning engine is not hot, not cold weather). It takes longer to start the engine, and after that it idles roughly, sometimes stalling. I just keep the rev at about 1200rpm for about 20 seconds and its ok then. Before this it would take a second to start the engine.
    Is this because of "leaky" injectors?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    probably a vacuum leak or crappy plug/oil/water in the plug tubes
    Today I changed the plugs. Old ones were Beru Ultra, new ones Denso (not iridium).

Old plugs were not tight at all. I could remove them with just one hand using the setup in the picture. Some were very easy to turn.
    Lots of oil, as is visible in the picture. I changed the valve cover gasket last year, brand Febi. No oil leaks on the outside. I didn't see any traces of leaks from that gasket within the plug sockets.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi there.

Exactely the same problem I'm having in my "M50 overview" thread.

By the way, the original problem of the engine running rough or stalling while engine cold is still there. I just put my foot on the gas and keep the rev at about 1200-1500 for about 20 seconds, and the roughness is gone.

Is it logical to think that the gaskets that are on the valve itself is leaking oil. so when I stop the engine, oil leaks to the spark plugs. when I run the engine at 1200-1500rpm for 20 seconds that oil is simply burnt. What makes me think so is that I could not see any traces of oil ieaking from the valve cover gasket from within the spark plug sockets. The oil was only at the bottom. only tips of spark plug boots were oily (2 were dry).

leaking valve stem seals usually show up as a small puff to a decent sized cloud of oil smoke on cold start

Quote Originally Posted by t_marat
    By the way, the original problem of the engine running rough or stalling while engine cold is still there. I just put my foot on the gas and keep the rev at about 1200-1500 for about 20 seconds, and the roughness is gone.

Is it logical to think that the gaskets that are on the valve itself is leaking oil. so when I stop the engine, oil leaks to the spark plugs. when I run the engine at 1200-1500rpm for 20 seconds that oil is simply burnt. What makes me think so is that I could not see any traces of oil ieaking from the valve cover gasket from within the spark plug sockets. The oil was only at the bottom. only tips of spark plug boots were oily (2 were dry).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast