GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Testing the TPS, what are the normal values?

Default Testing the TPS, what are the normal values?

what resistance values should i expect from the throttle position sensor on an M30 auto? The bentley doesn't give expected figures for this engine so i'm not sure if what i'm reading is showing a problem or not.

I'm getting a steady 11v on the harness end for both idle and wot terminals, but on the TPS end i get some pretty random resistance figures... at closed throttle i get between 2.5 and 11.5 ohms on pins 4 and 6, and at WOT i get resistance anywhere between 8 and 85 ohms on 4 and 5. it's steady, but the numbers change every time i test it. Is this why the bentley doesn't list the figures?

Opening the throttle at all gives 0 ohms on 4 and 6, and letting off from WOT gives 0 ohms on 4 and 5. To me this seems like it's functioning normally, but can someone please confirm? I want to rule this out of my lumpy idle diagnosis and move onto something else

thanks

Default The TPS is the key to your lump idle.>

Quote Originally Posted by Randell
    what resistance values should i expect from the throttle position sensor on an M30 auto? The bentley doesn't give expected figures for this engine so i'm not sure if what i'm reading is showing a problem or not.

I'm getting a steady 11v on the harness end for both idle and wot terminals, but on the TPS end i get some pretty random resistance figures... at closed throttle i get between 2.5 and 11.5 ohms on pins 4 and 6, and at WOT i get resistance anywhere between 8 and 85 ohms on 4 and 5. it's steady, but the numbers change every time i test it. Is this why the bentley doesn't list the figures?

Opening the throttle at all gives 0 ohms on 4 and 6, and letting off from WOT gives 0 ohms on 4 and 5. To me this seems like it's functioning normally, but can someone please confirm? I want to rule this out of my lumpy idle diagnosis and move onto something else

thanks
    When the TPS is closed you should have zero ohms (100% continuity) between 4 and 6. Same for 4 & 5 at WOT. Anything in between closed and open should be an open circuit. 2 yrs ago i was getting 2-5 ohms at closed throttle and my idle was terrible. I took the TPS apart (pretty delicate work) and cleaned the micro switch so my closed throttle resistance was zero and she idled perfectly.
    Good luck.
    Jeff in MN
    87 535is 245k Recent top end re-work
    88 528e 290k
    90 535i 115k
    98 740i 115k New Magnaflow Cats, No More Codes

thanks Jeff, sounds like mine is working in reverse! weird... i'll test it again tonight, but i had a guy from work do a sanity check for me and we both had the same results

i just noticed on the realoem image that the screws that hold the TPS are in slots, hopefully if i can loosen them and rotate the TPS i can recalibrate it somewhat...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=13&fg=15

if that fails i'll take it apart and see what i can do

just went down and had a look at the way it's mounted, the philips heads are almost completely stripped out and i can see marks on the mounts where the screws used to sit... looks like someone has been messing with this before!