GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear wheel bearing replacement looks complicated

Default Rear wheel bearing replacement looks complicated

BMWe34.net shows a procedure for replacing the front wheel bearings, and it is very simple - you just replace the entire hub. There isn't a procedure for rear wheel bearing problems.

Looking at my Bentley and also the ETK, it appears that the rear wheel bearing replacement is not the same. It looks like the hub assembly has to be taken apart and the wheel bearings, only, replaced. Is this true, or can the hub be replaced and that include new bearings?

The manual makes mention of several special BMW tools to take the assembly apart and replace the bearings. This doesn't appear to be something that a driveway mechanic can accomplish, and I am wondering even if my excellent independent mechanic would be able to do this without the special tools.

This is on a 1991 525i.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

My dealer quoted 2hrs labour for one rear wheel bearing, so I guess even with the special tool it is still a complicated procedure.

Before you commit to a bearing replacement, are you sure it's not the parking brake shoe contacting the drum or the pad dragging on rotor due to a stuck/sticking caliper? I'd also use the suggestion I made in

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...2705#post12705

This has the effect of extending the halfshaft and making CV joints operate outside their normal range. Probably helps redistribute the grease to some extent also. If noise is CV joint related I would expect this to change the noise if only temporarily.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    BMWe34.net shows a procedure for replacing the front wheel bearings, and it is very simple - you just replace the entire hub. There isn't a procedure for rear wheel bearing problems.

Looking at my Bentley and also the ETK, it appears that the rear wheel bearing replacement is not the same. It looks like the hub assembly has to be taken apart and the wheel bearings, only, replaced. Is this true, or can the hub be replaced and that include new bearings?

The manual makes mention of several special BMW tools to take the assembly apart and replace the bearings. This doesn't appear to be something that a driveway mechanic can accomplish, and I am wondering even if my excellent independent mechanic would be able to do this without the special tools.

This is on a 1991 525i.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

It might also be more cost effective to find a low-mileage set of trailing arms from a yard and swap the entire assembly into place. Much easier to replace the arm than just the bearing, and arms from a wrecked '95 would likely be more than suitable for another 40K or so miles.....

As Paul said - check for other problems first. It's not very often that the rear bearings go bad. For all intents and purposes they are "lifetime" parts (i.e. 250K-300K miles without a problem).

Any pictures yet?

--Micah

Default No pictures, yet, Micah. I have to get the beast cleaned up so

that it looks as good as the throwing star wheels. It is spring here, finally, and I need to do a lot of catch up repairs on our 4 vehicles.

I promise that you will be the first to get any pics.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by MicahO
    It might also be more cost effective to find a low-mileage set of trailing arms from a yard and swap the entire assembly into place. Much easier to replace the arm than just the bearing, and arms from a wrecked '95 would likely be more than suitable for another 40K or so miles.....

As Paul said - check for other problems first. It's not very often that the rear bearings go bad. For all intents and purposes they are "lifetime" parts (i.e. 250K-300K miles without a problem).

Any pictures yet?

--Micah

Default Thanks, Paul, for the suggestions. I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    Before you commit to a bearing replacement, are you sure it's not the parking brake shoe contacting the drum or the pad dragging on rotor due to a stuck/sticking caliper? I'd also use the suggestion I made in

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...2705#post12705

This has the effect of extending the halfshaft and making CV joints operate outside their normal range. Probably helps redistribute the grease to some extent also. If noise is CV joint related I would expect this to change the noise if only temporarily.

Paul Shovestul

Default Good stuff - I know the spring routine all too well--

I finally got some pictures up, though since they aren't e34's, I don't know who here wants to see

http://www.bimmernut.com/~micah/330iZHP.htm

I should clear 1K miles next week and finally be able to open the sucker up a bit.....

if you're willing to take care of it yerself, and it is indeed the bearing (and its a safety issue) 75 plus parts cost is not too bad

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/services/toolrent.htm
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Thanks, Ryan. I didn't realize they rented tools.

Now I have some options. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a wheel bearing issue.

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    if you're willing to take care of it yerself, and it is indeed the bearing (and its a safety issue) 75 plus parts cost is not too bad

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/services/toolrent.htm

Default Can't help you here Dick, the only bmw I have changed rear wheel

bearings on was a e24, didn't have any special tools but fabricated the pullers and pushers that I needed..But i also had access to most of the equipment needed to fabricate the tools..

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    Now I have some options. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a wheel bearing issue.

Dick Schneiders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast