GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric impact wrench (gun)

Default Electric impact wrench (gun)

I'm thinking of buying one of these. Any thought? Is 3/4" (rated 345 ft-lb) is too big ? (harder to find sockets?). The 1/2" is $15 cheaper with the same torque rate. I want to use it for suspension job... Will this be strong enough?

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/dewalt/DW294/
    94' AlpineWhite 530i, 5 spd Auto, 112K miles, Mfg in 4/93

I think 3/4" will be too big. You'd be better off with the 1/2" drive. Since the gun your looking at is not a cordless unit, it should have enough ompff to get the job done.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

1994 e34 530i Eibachs/KYB
    0 miles on new windshield

No electric impact drive is strong enough... I can't even get lugbolt out with electric impact wrench. Buy air impact gun... and small 3gal compressor is 10 times better than electric..

There was a thread about this a while back. Sorry I don't know how to link it.
    Dewalt is a decent brand and the corded 3/4" ought to have the balls as advertised. You can get a reducer for the sockets, 3/4 drive are expensive.
    I ended up with a Milwaukee cordless that zipped the headbolts out of a motor, will remove most lugnuts and today drove 3/8" x 5' lag screws into my fenceposts.
    Keep us posted please of your choice and it's performance.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    No electric impact drive is strong enough... I can't even get lugbolt out with electric impact wrench. Buy air impact gun... and small 3gal compressor is 10 times better than electric..
    I have a relatively cheap corded impact (I paid $70- Can. on sale) that easily removes lug nuts/bolts and all suspension fittings. It surpriseed me yesterday by torquing a hub nut on my chevy pick-up to over 160 ft/lb.

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

I have a deWalt that plugs into the cigar lighter, has some sort of spin-up system that will take a chev and Range-Rover lug nut off, cost $65,will not torque a Bm front hub but has done two wheels several times,worth it .

The only concern about a plugged electric that I might have, would be the size of the gun itself. It might make it difficult in tight spots, since I recall them being significantly larger than their pneumatic cousins.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

1994 e34 530i Eibachs/KYB
    0 miles on new windshield

Dead right, but when it comes to changing a wheel in Belgrade speed is a really good idea, for doing tight jobs it`s no use but for front suspension it will reach all bolts and the `rattle` set up shakes off tapers a treat.Draper also sell them but demand a test first.

I bought my 1/2" Ingersol titanium off ebay for $165 and the 3/8" Ingersol for $150, brand new. The 3/8" will make 280 ft/lb, the 1/2" will do 700 ft/lb and max out at 1000 ft/lb in reverse. The are the best guns I could find for the size and torque capacity.

I bought the 3/8" just for removing the exhaust manifolds in the car since I broke one of the studs initially trying to use a breaker bar. The impact easily fits between the block and body on my 535i, and took all of the remaining nuts/studs out with ease, and didn't break a single one.

There are so many uses for these guns, I'd be lost without them anymore... One of the best tool purchases I've ever made.

cordless or corded?

Quote Originally Posted by icesoft
    I bought my 1/2" Ingersol titanium off ebay for $165 and the 3/8" Ingersol for $150, brand new. The 3/8" will make 280 ft/lb, the 1/2" will do 700 ft/lb and max out at 1000 ft/lb in reverse. The are the best guns I could find for the size and torque capacity.

I bought the 3/8" just for removing the exhaust manifolds in the car since I broke one of the studs initially trying to use a breaker bar. The impact easily fits between the block and body on my 535i, and took all of the remaining nuts/studs out with ease, and didn't break a single one.

There are so many uses for these guns, I'd be lost without them anymore... One of the best tool purchases I've ever made.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast