GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention iPod DICE Users

Default Attention iPod DICE Users

As some of you know I purchased/installed a CD43 and DICE module from Jimmy Herrold through the group buy he put together this spring. The CD43 has been my best upgrade to date and I am extremely happy with it.

My DICE integration, however, while having the potential to be a great upgrade, has so far been a waste of $145+ with no return. So please, if your DICE setup functions properly, maybe you can shed some let on my situation... Jim, aka 95///M3, has decided to permanently ignore my e-mails after initially being so helpful.

The Problem: After I've had the battery disconnected for a little while, and after rechecking the wiring going to the back of the radio for the 5th time, I connect the battery, turn the ignition key to power accessories, and connect my iPod Video (has latest firmware). On this first attempt to connect, it usually powers up as it should, screen cycles through "disconnect," etc, then its ready. It plays my iPod tunes through my car speakers, pretty sweet and I'm very excited. I follow the directions to turn text display on, some parts of a song appear stationary on the headunit for an unreasonable amount of time, but this is not too disconcerting. I proceed to turn on the car, and begin doing a little test drive. 5 min or so into the test drive, I'm suddenly listening to the CD in my headunit, NOT my iPod! Just like that, it switches over.... sometimes I just press "CD" on my head unit and it will jump back into the iPod song like nothing happened, but after this switching back and forth between iPod and CD automatically, the iPod soon just stops connecting altogether. At this point, it doesn't matter how many times I do a iPod reset (menu+center button) or turn off the car, the DICE refuses to recognize it has anything connected to it.

So one might assume this is a problem with the DICE module. I thought so, and so did DICE customer support. Thus they sent me a new module, and I paid to ship the old one back. But there's no change! With the new module installed, I quite simply have the exact same problem going on!!

This is so odd, that I really don't know what to make of it anymore... if my wiring was bad, it wouldn't connect for a few minutes, right?? I've never heard more than 10 min of playing time at one sitting before this setup just chokes.

Sorry for the long post, guys, but since I know some others of you bought the DICE too, I was hoping you could shed some light. Thanks in advance!
    _

You explained my problems perfectly. I don't care enough to try to fix it. I just listen to the CD when it wont switch back. However if you DO find a fix. I wanna be the first you email. I guess I'll aid in trying to fix it now as well.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Oh, and in Jim's defense. He's out on business.

Did you use T-tap connectors to tap into the 3 wires on the back of the harness? I just put a Grom iPod adapter in mine last week and tapped into the +12v, ground, & the #7 i-bus wire. I noticed the i-bus wire is pretty skinny and could make an intermittent connection so I stripped about 1/16" of the insulation off of it to expose the bare copper & packed a few more shards of bare strands into the T-tap with a small screwdriver to make sure it was making good contact. So far so good.

http://gromaudio.com/bmw_instructions.pdf
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

everything in mine is connected well and working. i just dont think the dice likes the business radio as well as everyone says it does (in the e34)

Did you check the DICE Q.A. thread on bf.c? Here it is: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=634582

I can't identify with your problem because I drive an E36, but occasionally I have the problem of the DICE not being recognized, so I can't even put the CD43 on CD changer mode. A quick battery disconnect fixes the problem for me. This has only happened twice. I hope you find some answers though.

I give Jimmy props for the kit he put together for the group buy. He went above and beyond expectations by fabricating the wiring harnesses for us.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    You explained my problems perfectly. I don't care enough to try to fix it. I just listen to the CD when it wont switch back. However if you DO find a fix. I wanna be the first you email. I guess I'll aid in trying to fix it now as well.
    Well, at least it's a relief to hear that I'm not the only one suffering from the same issue. I just sent an e-mail to Tom at EAS, I'll see if he has any ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    Oh, and in Jim's defense. He's out on business.
    There's no question that Jim kindly went out of the way to help us get set up, but "out on business" from June 27 to September 29?? That's odd...

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Did you use T-tap connectors to tap into the 3 wires on the back of the harness? I just put a Grom iPod adapter in mine last week and tapped into the +12v, ground, & the #7 i-bus wire. I noticed the i-bus wire is pretty skinny and could make an intermittent connection so I stripped about 1/16" of the insulation off of it to expose the bare copper & packed a few more shards of bare strands into the T-tap with a small screwdriver to make sure it was making good contact. So far so good.
    gale, do you have a CD-43 or some other unit? That's great yours is working, I'll have to check my t-tap connections again too.
    Last edited by swenpro; 09-29-2007 at 11:18 AM.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by swenpro
    gale, do you have a CD-43 or some other unit? That's great yours is working, I'll have to check my t-tap connections again too.
    I have the C43 cassette version of the Business head unit. Should function the same as a CD43 for aux. input. The Grom works well but wish it would do streaming iPod song/artist text, just shows: disk-no, track-no.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

There's no question that Jim kindly went out of the way to help us get set up, but "out on business" from June 27 to September 29?? That's odd...
    I believe he recently got a new job that requires him to travel some distance to get to. It was hard to get ahold of him for my stuff... but I got it.

what settings are you using on the dice unit itself? (switch positions)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast