GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new aluminium lower arms!

Any updates on this job Shaun? I had a fork separator but it didn't work for me even though I managed to jam it in and ruin the rubber boots, I guess mine were truly stuck.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    Any updates on this job Shaun? I had a fork separator but it didn't work for me even though I managed to jam it in and ruin the rubber boots, I guess mine were truly stuck.
    Hi Leicesterboy!
    Well I only had enough spare time to do the driver's side arm the other day. Instead of taking the car round the garage where all the heavy tools were I thought I would do it on my driveway, as it's an easy job. WRONG! I had no gas bottles so I ended up shearing off two of the three bolts that attach the strut to the steering plate. I ended up having to remove the strut and taking it round the garage to heat up & remove the snapped studs, went back home and refitted the strut at the top mount.
    Anyway with the strut removed I took the old lower arm off - what a state it was in lol! It came off easy enough, and I never needed the fork, I just used the heaviest knocking stick I had to knock the ball joint out from above!! I got onto the dealer and ordered six new bolts and also two lower arm mount inner nuts and bolts for peace of mind. Next day, after a quick rummage through my spare bolt box I found some bolts so I could bolt up the bottom of the strut. A quick re-assemble and now it's back on the road. Oh, and I lowered the car down before I tightened the inner arm bush, to avoid damage.
    I get my new bolts on Tuesday so I'll simply pop the old bolts out and put the new ones in, then proceed to the other side, only this time I'll heat the bottom strut bolts up FIRST!

Cheers,

Shaun M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12