GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Whining during cold mornings

Default Whining during cold mornings

Hi All,

Suddenly today I am hearing a lot of whining from the front in the cold morning. I can hear it only when I slow down. Whining stopped after driving like four miles. Where could it be coming from?

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinewhite
    Hi All,

Suddenly today I am hearing a lot of whining from the front in the cold morning. I can hear it only when I slow down. Whining stopped after driving like four miles. Where could it be coming from?

Thanks
    Arun
    I got the same thing once things cooled off here (Germany) and I traced it to the power steering system. Doing a fluid swap is on my 'roundtoit' list as the noise goes away once some heat gets in the system. I figure there is a mix of fluid types in the system and draining it all and putting fresh dexron will be the ticket.

Now, where is a cheap place for some P/S hoses and a reservoir so I can fix the drippies?

Brian

i just started getting a whine too - happens only at around 80 km/h. i am suspecting a loose belt or stuff spilled on it as the ps fluid level is fine but the belt was adjusted recently. just waiting for it to get above -15'c to check it out properly.

...help me i'm freeeezing...

Power steering fluid level was little low. I topped it up and the whining seems to have been gone. I am keeping my fingers crossed and I will see for a week if the whining goes away.
    Thanks for the suggestion bsell
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

Quote Originally Posted by bsell
    I got the same thing once things cooled off here (Germany) and I traced it to the power steering system. Doing a fluid swap is on my 'roundtoit' list as the noise goes away once some heat gets in the system. I figure there is a mix of fluid types in the system and draining it all and putting fresh dexron will be the ticket.

Now, where is a cheap place for some P/S hoses and a reservoir so I can fix the drippies?

Brian
    Not sure where you are but try any hydraulic plant supplier,the HP hoses are a spool valve feed hose for a JCB 4CX adapted, hose is for peanuts,fittings were £23 all in. The LP return is any old hydraulic hose but use good quality clamps. the whole lot is less than the price of one BM OEM hose.

perhaps you should tell your passenger to dress a litle more appropritely and to quit whining?
    Gone but not forgotten

Default Try R&Ring your existing fluid with Synthetic ATF.

Easy way to do this is to remove as much of the old fluid as possible (I used a turkey baster), then top up with Synthetic ATF. With the engine on, turn your steering lock to lock and hold it there a couple of times then remove as much as you can then replace with synthetic. Do this about 3 times and you will then have the bulk of your fluid as synthetic. This is especially useful if you live in climates with extremes (cold and/or hot).
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"