GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 uses M50 engine, right? Turbo Questions inside...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default E36 uses M50 engine, right? Turbo Questions inside...

I've decided to forget Coil-Overs and go for a bolt-on turbo kit running low boost(6-8psi) on stock internals.

I found a bolt-on kit for the E36 6 CYL which has the same exhaust manifold as an E34 right?

Which means, the rest of the kit should bolt on except for the intercooler piping which I know I'll need to modify.

So, question time for you turbo guru's

1.) E36 Exhaust Manifold the same as E34?
    2.) If above awnser is yes...What else do I need to worry about not fitting from E36 Turbo kit?
    3.) Is it hard to make a custom Downpipe because it doesnt come with the kit.
    4.) What kind of power can I expect from this setup going through an automatic transmission(for now)
    5.) Any other things I should be worried about the setup?

Tuning is not a problem.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

If this is one of those $1500 kits, dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    If this is one of those $1500 kits, dont.
    It's more like 800, but there's got to be a good reason?

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god
    It's more like 800, but there's got to be a good reason?
    A real turbo kit

http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product04

but i have no idea if this will fit on the e34 m50!
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Quote Originally Posted by healtoeit
    A real turbo kit

http://www.activeautowerke.com/viewp...x?id=Product04

but i have no idea if this will fit on the e34 m50!
    Thats the problem, 10000 reasons more than i can explain.

Low boost is better than no boost.

Man so much bad information in this thread.

Man so much bad information in this thread.
    Come on, I know you want to clear it up, your like super smart with turbo's. I want to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_manners_god
    Come on, I know you want to clear it up, your like super smart with turbo's. I want to learn.
    1) if you turbo charge your car on that automatic you WILL break the transmission

2) superchargers have no lag - false. The superchargers that are available for the M50 are called centrifugal superchargers. They are essentially turbochargers with a gear reduction unit and a belt driven compressor wheel. This makes them not only have lag but have a LOT of lag. Yes they start making boost low rpm, but they don't achieve "max boost" until your red-line right before you ****. So basically you may only have 1 psi at 3500 rpm, 3 at 4500 rpm, 6 at 5500+ rpm, and right at your red-line you'll make your peak boost. That's really really boring and makes the car no where near as efficient as with a turbocharger. There's a saying that goes around CF blowers that they're "All the lag, none of the boost" of a turbo.

3) Do you honestly think a turbo kit for under $3500 or so is going to be real? Dude, those ebay junk turbos are barely turbos at all. they last about 100 - 200 miles before they explode filling your engine with shards of broken compressor wheel and housing. A normal turbo should cost you about $750+ by itself. A normal turbo uses bolts or a v-band clamp to hold the housings together. The SS autochrome turbos are held together with EPOXY. The eBay/SSAutochrome manifold for the BMW can work - I used one in my Holset turbo build. However, I modified it and built an up pipe and yeah its not a good manifold by itself, it has no wastegate port and it CRACKs. I used their manifold to build a former turbo setup and came in around $3000 - $3500. All I used was their manifold, the rest of it was quality TiAL parts and a Holset turbo.

4) You say "tuning is no problem". How do you figure that?

1) if you turbo charge your car on that automatic you WILL break the transmission

2) superchargers have no lag - false. The superchargers that are available for the M50 are called centrifugal superchargers. They are essentially turbochargers with a gear reduction unit and a belt driven compressor wheel. This makes them not only have lag but have a LOT of lag. Yes they start making boost low rpm, but they don't achieve "max boost" until your red-line right before you ****. So basically you may only have 1 psi at 3500 rpm, 3 at 4500 rpm, 6 at 5500+ rpm, and right at your red-line you'll make your peak boost. That's really really boring and makes the car no where near as efficient as with a turbocharger. There's a saying that goes around CF blowers that they're "All the lag, none of the boost" of a turbo.

3) Do you honestly think a turbo kit for under $3500 or so is going to be real? Dude, those ebay junk turbos are barely turbos at all. they last about 100 - 200 miles before they explode filling your engine with shards of broken compressor wheel and housing. A normal turbo should cost you about $750+ by itself. A normal turbo uses bolts or a v-band clamp to hold the housings together. The SS autochrome turbos are held together with EPOXY. The eBay/SSAutochrome manifold for the BMW can work - I used one in my Holset turbo build. However, I modified it and built an up pipe and yeah its not a good manifold by itself, it has no wastegate port and it CRACKs. I used their manifold to build a former turbo setup and came in around $3000 - $3500. All I used was their manifold, the rest of it was quality TiAL parts and a Holset turbo.

4) You say "tuning is no problem". How do you figure that?
    Jon, I could of not said it any better. You are alright for taking the time to explain to us all and share your expertise. I have had my turbo for 7 years and she is still running strong. I did however have the engine taken completely apart and rebuilt specificity for the turbo. Stroker, dished pistons, heavy duty everything, blueprinted and dyno. Your right, you can not just add a turbo and expect for the the stock parts to survive.......
    M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

Default really?

1)
    NEVER herd of that kind of set up! thanks for clearing up my mistake though!
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast