GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: slowly leaking radiator(?) - suggestions?

The radiators over here are quite costly... I had a similar experience in my e46 and first thing I done was check all hoses for leaks/cracks... Also check hoseclamps are tight and the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator.

If all this fails there's a product over here called 'bars-leaks' that sorted my leak out and it only cost 5GBP... I'm sure over there you will have something equivalent?! Good luck with it...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Default slowly leaking radiator(?) - suggestions?

Back in January I had the coolant warning light come on. I checked, and there was almost no visible coolant in the tranparent plastic fill area of the radiator. I'd recently moved from VA to Huntsville, AL and don't have a good BMW-specific mechanic yet. So I called my guy in VA. He told me to top it off and if I didn't lose anymore that I was okay - something about being a typical trait after certain servicing I'd had done before moving. I did the deed, mixed some stuff up and topped it off. This last week I got the light again, and I checked and it was low - not like before, but still significant. After topping off again I started checking and I see that each day there are probably 3-5 big drops coming out on the garage floor.

Is there something I can do, some additive, for plugging a tiny hole? Or do I need to look at having the radiator replaced? I have to verify this (at work now), but I think the radiator is original.

Thanks!
    Eric
    Eric

1995 525i
    Huntsville, AL

Quote Originally Posted by ericole
    No, I don't know that it's not a hose. I just know there are drops on the floor. What's the best way to track the source of the leak?

thanks
    Clean white paper under car after you drive it? Look for the blue
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

Are you sure it isn't a hose? I thought my heater core was losing coolant but it turned out to be a pinhole in one of the radiator hoses - I couldn't see any deposits forming though.

I would aviod "stop leak" type additives. They tend to do more long-term damage than good. Check under the hood when the cars is good and hot after driving. You should be able to spot the leak. Also, I know it's a ways away from Huntsville, but I can highly recommend BMW of Chattanooga if you actually need service. I did a DIY when I replaced my radiator and ended up costing only about $200.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

No, I don't know that it's not a hose. I just know there are drops on the floor. What's the best way to track the source of the leak?

thanks
    Eric

1995 525i
    Huntsville, AL

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch90535im
    I would aviod "stop leak" type additives. They tend to do more long-term damage than good. Check under the hood when the cars is good and hot after driving. You should be able to spot the leak. Also, I know it's a ways away from Huntsville, but I can highly recommend BMW of Chattanooga if you actually need service. I did a DIY when I replaced my radiator and ended up costing only about $200.
    Thanks for the info and the recommendation. I used an independent BMW mechanic in VA and he was so reasonable and easy to work with. I think it would be hard to take it to a dealership knowing their labor charges. Plus, it would probably be a little iffy to get to Chattanooga if I needed something replaced. Of course there is a dealership in Huntsville.
    Eric

1995 525i
    Huntsville, AL