GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Most expensive E34 Repair?

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966
    It's not the self leveling that's what makes my shocks expensive. It's that they're EDC shocks.

And as EDC shocks don't have removable inserts like a regular E34 does. You can't just buy a Sachs (or Dinan, or Boge, or Bilstein, or Koni, etc.) kit and slap it in. You'd have to buy new strut bodies (@$550 each). You'd have to buy different strut mounts. You'd have to delete the SLS part of the suspension. You end up purchasing so many new, different parts that it adds up to the cost of just sticking with the EDC setup and having it rebuilt.

The M-Sport has a very different suspension than any other US model E34. The EDC Nurburgring Suspension was only offered on US M-Sports (200 cars total), Canadian M540's (32 cars total), Euro 3.8 M5's & M5T's (4,011 cars total), and Australian 540 LE's (72 cars total). As you can see, it's not a common setup...
    There goes any thoughts I had about buying a M-Sport !! That's just too much sophistication for me. I'll stick to my old 535 and Bilstein suspension.
    Offthehookguys
    1992 E34 535i, 5-speed
    Mods - cat-back exhaust, K/N filter, 17" wheels, short throw shifter, Dinan chip (Conforti soon to be installed), Bilstein struts and Eibach springs

Quote Originally Posted by offthehookguys
    There goes any thoughts I had about buying a M-Sport !! That's just too much sophistication for me. I'll stick to my old 535 and Bilstein suspension.
    Yes, the EDC setup on the M-Sport isn't as simple or cheap as what's on your 535.

But you'd probably change your mind after driving one.

I'd say that the M-Sport/M540 is the ultimate E34. I do have many hours behind the wheel of a '93 M5, but love my M-sport a lot more.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Sorry, for $5,000, I can think of a lot of things I could do to my car that would be better than a self-leveling suspension (like shopping at Dinan .

Quote Originally Posted by dauchande
    Sorry, for $5,000, I can think of a lot of things I could do to my car that would be better than a self-leveling suspension (like shopping at Dinan .
    The M-Sport has an EDC (electronic dampener control mean it's got instantly adjustable damping rates) suspension that includes self leveling. The EDC setup is what costs $5,000. A regular self leveling setup on a normal M5 costs about $1,800 for factory parts.

Not sure you can delete the SLS and keep the EDC. You could delete the EDC and keep the SLS though. Not sure why you'd want to do that though.

It's not the self leveling that makes M-Sports fun to drive, it's the EDC suspension than makes them fun.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345