GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most expensive E34 Repair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Most expensive E34 Repair?

Hey guys, what is the most expensive job you have ever done or had done on your E34?

I got quotes of $6,500-$7,000 to replace the shocks. Gonna do it myself and get them rebuilt. Will only be about $3,000 then...
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966
    I got quotes of $6,500-$7,000 to replace the shocks. Gonna do it myself and get them rebuilt. Will only be about $3,000 then...
    HOLY HAND GRENADE! 3k to replace and rebuild the shocks?!That seems a bit steep... mine was 1/3 that much...

on another note
    Does repair include performance parts?

If yes them my suspension... upwards of 2k I'm guestimating

If no then it was my clutch... about $700-850
    Last edited by healtoeit; 05-05-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Quote Originally Posted by healtoeit
    HOLY HAND GRENADE! 3k to replace and rebuild the shocks?!That seems a bit steep... mine was 1/3 that much...
    Yup, about $2k to get the 4 shocks rebuilt, + shipping to the UK and back, + new springs and mounting hardware. Might actually be closer to $3,500 after all is said an done now that I think about it.

If I wanted to just buy new shocks the best price I can get on them is about $5,500 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    where do you live? do you have a wagon with sls?
    I'm in Seattle. And no, I don't have a wagon. I have a 540 M-Sport which has the Euro EDC Nurburgring suspension w/SLS. I really wish it was just the SLS as that'd be a whole lot cheaper than EDC parts. But I do love how the EDC works, which is why I'm keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt P
    Seems like it was $4K+ to replace the EDC shocks on the M5 Wagon a few years ago. Doesn't the M-Sport have the same EDC setup?
    Yup, the M-Sport has the same EDC setup that the M5T has. Unfortunately the cost on EDC shocks has gone up considerably in the last couple of months. Now about $5.5k for a set...

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Why not just delete the SLS in the M sport? I would prefer the ride myself.
    It's not the SLS that's spendy on an M-Sport, it's the EDC. And the EDC is very nice so I'm not getting rid of it. Besides, deleting the EDC & SLS costs about the same as replacing the EDC as you've got to buy a lot of new parts to do it.

Not to mention that if you take the EDC out of the M-Sport then it's just a 540 that looks like an M5 (easy to 'build' yourself). Whereas if you leave it stock it's an M5 with a V8 under the hood (damn near impossible to 'build' yourself).

Took 2 1/2 years for me to find this M-Sport, and I'm going to keep it as an M-Sport.

At the moment you make me very glad I do my own work on my car. 5.5k for new springs and shocks is ! I'm sorry but I just can't get over that price

Yup, about $2k to get the 4 shocks rebuilt, + shipping to the UK and back, + new springs and mounting hardware. Might actually be closer to $3,500 after all is said an done now that I think about it.

If I wanted to just buy new shocks the best price I can get on them is about $5,500 or so.
    Conforti chip, K&N filter, Racing-dyn sways, EBC pad/rotor, SS brakelines, UUC DSSR, custom sound+alpine receiver, 17" PS2s, H&R/bilsports.
    "Speed is the product of doing everything right"

Quote Originally Posted by healtoeit
    At the moment you make me very glad I do my own work on my car. 5.5k for new springs and shocks is ! I'm sorry but I just can't get over that price
    $5.5k is the best price I can find in the world just for a set of new shocks. Add the springs to that and it's about $6.1k. There's no labor in any of those prices. That'd be what it'd cost me to buy the shocks from Mile One and then install them myself.

You should be glad that you've got a normal suspension on your car as this EDC setup is retarded spendy to repair.

Default This is way wrong

$5.5k is the best price I can find in the world just for a set of new shocks. Add the springs to that and it's about $6.1k. There's no labor in any of those prices. That'd be what it'd cost me to buy the shocks from Mile One and then install them myself.

You should be glad that you've got a normal suspension on your car as this EDC setup is retarded spendy to repair.
    We replaced my 540 setup on all four corners (shocks too) for $700-800 with Sachs kit a couple of years ago. Convert to Euro plus whatever fudge factor and its still less than $1500 if you delete self leveling--which I know A LOT of guys have done with no regrets. Am I missing something?
    'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' - Ronald Reagan

more or less $5000 but i replaced a lot! bilstein shocks 4pcs. new headlights and foglights , oil change , timing belt , ATF and tranny filter , rotordisk , pads and sensors , poly bushings coolant and thermostat , valve cover gasket , intake and exhaust gasket and ICV. And still growing! hahaha I love my car!!!
    Last edited by bmwrp8; 05-08-2008 at 01:13 AM.

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by rnrn
    We replaced my 540 setup on all four corners (shocks too) for $700-800 with Sachs kit a couple of years ago. Convert to Euro plus whatever fudge factor and its still less than $1500 if you delete self leveling--which I know A LOT of guys have done with no regrets. Am I missing something?
    It's not the self leveling that's what makes my shocks expensive. It's that they're EDC shocks.

And as EDC shocks don't have removable inserts like a regular E34 does. You can't just buy a Sachs (or Dinan, or Boge, or Bilstein, or Koni, etc.) kit and slap it in. You'd have to buy new strut bodies (@$550 each). You'd have to buy different strut mounts. You'd have to delete the SLS part of the suspension. You end up purchasing so many new, different parts that it adds up to the cost of just sticking with the EDC setup and having it rebuilt.

The M-Sport has a very different suspension than any other US model E34. The EDC Nurburgring Suspension was only offered on US M-Sports (200 cars total), Canadian M540's (32 cars total), Euro 3.8 M5's & M5T's (4,011 cars total), and Australian 540 LE's (72 cars total). As you can see, it's not a common setup...

It's not the self leveling that's what makes my shocks expensive. It's that they're EDC shocks.

And as EDC shocks don't have removable inserts like a regular E34 does. You can't just buy a Sachs (or Dinan, or Boge, or Bilstein, or Koni, etc.) kit and slap it in. You'd have to buy new strut bodies (@$550 each). You'd have to buy different strut mounts. You'd have to delete the SLS part of the suspension. You end up purchasing so many new, different parts that it adds up to the cost of just sticking with the EDC setup and having it rebuilt.

The M-Sport has a very different suspension than any other US model E34. The EDC Nurburgring Suspension was only offered on US M-Sports (200 cars total), Canadian M540's (32 cars total), Euro 3.8 M5's & M5T's (4,011 cars total), and Australian 540 LE's (72 cars total). As you can see, it's not a common setup...
    There goes any thoughts I had about buying a M-Sport !! That's just too much sophistication for me. I'll stick to my old 535 and Bilstein suspension.
    Offthehookguys
    1992 E34 535i, 5-speed
    Mods - cat-back exhaust, K/N filter, 17" wheels, short throw shifter, Dinan chip (Conforti soon to be installed), Bilstein struts and Eibach springs

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast